How do you deal with fighting?

I have 2 boys. Ages 4 and 3. They fight constantly! They hit each other and push eachother. They even scratch each other! Nothing I do seems to help. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would spank them and set them in time out in seperate areas till they calm down. When my sons fight I sit down with them after all is said and done and we talk about how we are supposed to treat eachother with love, then we talk about what love is (patients, kindess, slow to anger, ....ect..) Then we talk about what caused the fight in the first place and we "re Play" the situation correctly. Z takes toy from G because he wants a turn. Z should have asked first, and if G said no, then waited till it was his turn, or come and talk to me. G should have asked Z for the toy back, and then if Z did not give it back, G should have came and talked to me.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:10 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My boys are 15 months apart. Do they share a room? You need to split them up when they act like that. Redirect them to something else separately until they can learn to play nice. If they keep it up, put them in a time out, away from each other.
    Anonymous

• I have a 6 year old and 4 year old and we go through this. You explain that we love our family members. and it is not okay to treat people that way... how can we handle this differently next time?? And seperate them. they will grow out of it for the most part, but right now is when it needs to be under control.
    muzikgrl477

Answer by muzikgrl477 at 7:40 PM on Apr. 3, 2009