As a Catholic...

Why do I constantly have to be questioned on my faith? Why is it that the people going around handing out tracks ask me where I go to church I tell them I am Catholic so they start trying to 'save' me. Why is it that people think that Catholics are not Christians?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church, which is of course, quite a different thing" -Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

It has a lot to do with ignorance of the Catholic faith (and unfortantely some of that ignorance comes from Catholics' themselves). They take Catholic teachings out of context and so have many misunderstandings. A couple of years ago the president of the Evangelical Theological Society converted to Catholicism and he pointed out "Then I began reading some Catholic authors who did a very nice job with explaining the Catholic views of grace and faith. I thought to myself, How come every evangelical book that I've read on Catholicism didn't get this right?" (From an interview

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 5:47 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I know, and why do some Christains feel that it is there duty to change you, I'm Catholic and I love God and I love my religion and I don't want to change it!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Because your faith is different from what others think is right. I am LDS and I get the same thing all the time.
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 5:04 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I think there are many Catholics out there that give the religion a very bad name, of course not all, but many are extremely hypocritical and judgemental. I bet everyone you know knows a Catholic like that and its given them a bad taste.
    Anonymous

• I practice earth based beliefs. My husband is Catholic............Can you imagine how often we are prayed for, blessed and asked if we know "jesus christ our savior"?
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 5:10 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• so do Jehovah's Witnesses, I think it's because as JW's we believe that Faith without works is dead as James stated (active Faith) by going out and preaching and teaching as Jesus commanded his followers to do.

people think we don't understand Grace or Undeserved Kindness from God and think we are trying to work our way into heaven..... they don't understand that it's because of the Grace or Undeserved Kindness that we do as Jesus said because we appreciate the gift God gave.

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 5:11 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Catholics are the number one target of mormons to convert. Mormons are so convinced that Catholics are going to hell in a handbag they baptized a dead pope. (without the permission of the pope's family) Protestants have a line of anti Catholic in them because it was founded not by Jesus Christ as the Catholic church was, but by upset Catholics.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• "Mormons are so convinced that Catholics are going to hell in a handbag" LOL

Considering us Mormons believe that the only people who go to hell are sons of perdition. that is obviously not true.
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 10:44 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Posthumous baptisms by proxy have been a common practice for the Latter-day Saints -- commonly known as Mormons -- for more than a century, allowing the church's faithful to have their ancestors baptized into their faith so they may be united in the afterlife, said Mike Otterson, a spokesman in the church's Salt Lake City headquarters.

sorry I just didn't stand the purpose of baptizing the dead without their permission.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Apr. 4, 2009