should i change drs??

ok im gonna try and put this in as few words as possible. i have hypoglycemia (kinda like diabetes) and my o.b. told me that thats something i would have to go to my primary physician for if i had any concerns. so i did. they had me do a food diary and other stuff and then contacted the o.b. with the results cuz they were concerned. the o.b. reluctantly did the diabetes test which came back with good restults (not diabetic), and then basically told me that they werent concerned and not to worry. they then contacted my primary and told them they would handle it, which means my primary cant do anything else. but the o.b. basically told me they werent gonna do anything for it, and now theyve told my dr they cant either. does this dr seem like... to not neccessarily have my best interests in mind? should i switch drs? how bad would that be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you're hypoglycemic you can eat really healthy and it will cure it. You should be concerned with your health too. You'll be a diabetic if you don't change your eating.
    Anonymous

• ive been hypoglycemic my whole life and its not diet controlled unfortunately, its the spontaneous type which i guess is pretty non typical. i already know the risks of becoming diabetic later in life. my question is that my dr told me to go to another dr about it, and now she is calling them telling them to stop treating me cuz shes gonna do it, but shes already told me shes not gonna do anything else. im worried that maybe she is like 'too busy' or just not interested as she should be. im 5 months along. is it too late to switch??
    Anonymous

• Your OB's job is to make sure your pregnancy goes well. If they think you may have Diabetes and you are pregnant, it absolutely cannot go ignored. It can cause you to miscarry or the baby can grow too large. Do you have a glucose monitor to check your blood sugar levels daily? If not ask, usually your doctors office will give you one or your insurance can cover it. Ask for a copy of your labs......I'm not sure why they wouldn't want to take care of something as serious as a chronic illness, especially if you are pregnant.
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 5:30 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• i have a glucose moniter, and all ive really found out so far is that the blood tests have come back normal, but the moniter tests i have been doing are just all over the place. so this is what i know: my sugar levels are completely instable, and diet doesnt change them (just during pregnancy, i have never ever in my life gone above 115 (normal is 80-120) and they have been fluctuating since about a few weeks go between 82-173. what do you think i should do?
    Anonymous

• First make sure your glucose monitor is calibrated. If it's a newer one do a glucose test with the solution to make sure it's working properly. If all is well with your monitor keep your food diary and show it to your OB next time you see him if they continue to be unstable. Sometimes women can develop Gestational Diabetes, doesn't necessarily mean you have Diabetes, but if it's not taken care of it can develop. After I had my daughter my doctor told me to be careful b/c I was borderline Diabetic. Ever since then, I've been watching what I eat and after a few months my blood work came back normal. It's just our hormones during pregnancy going crazy!! Take care!
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 6:35 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• SOME WOMEN JUST HAVE BLOOD SUGAR PROBLEMS WHEN THIER PREG, JUST EAT LOTS OF CARBS AND PROTIEN 5 SMALL MEALS A DAY AND IF YOU START FEELING CLOUDY MINDED OR REALLY TIARED AND WEAK, GET HEADACHES EAT SOMETHING WITH SUBSTANCE IT DOESNT HAVE TO BE SUGARY BUT SOMETHING THAT MAINTAIN IN YOUR SYSTEM YOU COULD ALWAYS GET A GLUCOMETER AND WRITE DOWN WHAT YOU EAT, IT WILL PROB GO AWAY AFTER YOU HAVE YOUR BABY BUT KIDS TAKE ALOT OF NUTRIENTS FROM OUR BODYS SO U JUST HAVE TO IMPROVISE TALK TO YOUR DOC, OR A NUITRITIONIST IF YOUR STILL CONCERNED
    medic_mom242

Answer by medic_mom242 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 3, 2009