so let me get this straight

the bible says that if a man marries a woman who is divorced then he's committing adultery, but if the divorced woman was cheated on then its okay? there was a post on this earlier but it closed before i could ask. im just curious is all!

aliciatron

Asked by aliciatron at 5:22 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Actually no that's not what the Bible says. Matt. 5:31-32 says the Lord permits divorce only for "porneia." This Greek word generally means unlawful sexual intercourse due to either blood relations (also called incest) or nonsacramental unions. The Lord does not permit divorce for "moicheia" (adultery). It is also important to note that in these cases, a marriage never existed in the first place, so the Lord is not actually permitting divorce, but a dissolution of the unlawful union.

So while a divorce may end a marriage in the legal sense - it doesn't end a marriage according to God. We can recognize that a valid marriage didn't occur - but we humans cannot end a valid marriage. The bible is quite clear on this "Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate." (Mark 10:9)
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:23 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• That is true, but that is old testament bible. If that was the case now the whole world has committed adultery.
    Anonymous

• oh okay... and we only follow new testament bible right? well not we im not sure of my faith but i read this story about raining love and it makes me want to believe....

i was just curious is all
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 5:25 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• lol your saying old testament as if its old news, and us NEW generations dont abide by that?? the old testament is just as important as the new. and I still dont see where divorced is in it.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 5:26 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Give us a book and verse where it says it. I want to see for myself, not just believe whatever someone on CM says.
    Anonymous

• No, but Jesus came to earth and committed the ultimate sacrifice for our sins so that we don't have to follow the law of the old testament any longer.
    Anonymous

• “It was also said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’ But I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.
    —Matthew 5:31-32
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 5:31 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• WHAT?!! Who said that?!?! I have never in my life heard that Jesus died so we didnt have to follow the old testament!
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 5:32 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• “When a man takes a wife and marries her, if then she finds no favor in his eyes because he has found some indecency in her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce and puts it in her hand and sends her out of his house, and she departs out of his house, and if she goes and becomes another man's wife, and the latter man hates her and writes her a certificate of divorce and puts it in her hand and sends her out of his house, or if the latter man dies, who took her to be his wife, then her former husband, who sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after she has been defiled, for that is an abomination before the Lord. And you shall not bring sin upon the land that the Lord your God is giving you for an inheritance.
    —Deuteronomy 24:1-4
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 5:32 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• And Pharisees came up to him and tested him by asking, “Is it lawful to divorce one's wife for any cause?” He answered, “Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.” They said to him, “Why then did Moses command one to give a certificate of divorce and to send her away?” He said to them, “Because of your hardness of heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.”
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 5:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2009