Would you think its rude to ask family to wait for phone call after delivery?

I've added a post in one of my groups about this, but I wanted to hear plenty of responses. I am having a scheduled c-section with my third child. Last time, the baby wasn't in the room with us while the anesthesia wore off. It was like an hour later that we finally got to see him, and people were beating down the door to get in. We would like the chance to bond with our new baby and our older sons before being bombarded by family members. They are well meaning, but its intrusive during such a special moment. So would you think it was rude if we asked them to wait until we called, or wait a few hours before they came to the hospital?

kbates1208

Asked by kbates1208 at 5:29 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Not rude at all. I think its your choice on when they can see your baby. You and your family need to bond before other family does.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 5:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• id tell them to wait . i dont think it is wrong to want time alone first with the baby
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• not rude at all. i had my first son 8 weeks ago and i dealt with the same exact thing. i thought i was going to lose my mind, take time for you and your baby. they may be mad, but they will get over it. if i have another baby i will be asking people to wait. it was so overwhelming. good luck and congrats!
    walkthisway522

Answer by walkthisway522 at 5:31 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• That wouldn't be rude at all. In fact, it makes complete sense. I'd just explain it to your friends and family. I'm sure they'll understand. This is a big event for your family. You should have the opportunity to get to know your baby before you have to share him or her.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 5:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Thanks. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but they all seem to forget that in their excitement they can be pushy. LOL.
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 5:34 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Not at all rude. Heck, don't even tell them you're on the way to the hospital.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:14 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Not rude. Tell them you will call also make sure the hospital staff knows you don't want any visitors. I didn't have anyone but my husband and I loved it.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I am doing the same thing. I will be having a scheduled c-section, and told my parents that my husband will come pick my son up and bring him up to the hospital so we can have at least an hour or so to ourselves before everyone else starts to visit. She wasn't to wild about it. But I want that day so special and also special for my son as well. I want him to be a big part of it. He is looking forward to that big day, and also visiting me at the hospital. So no, I don't think its rude!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 6:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• nope! its perfectly fine! i think that they would understand- ur going through alot of new changes and feelings and u want it to be a personal thing- anyone would understand that! good luck!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 7:11 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Thanks ladies, for the helpful answers! If it weren't for past pushy relatives, we wouldn't have to say anything to anyone. You know how some people are though...you have to outright tell them what they should have the common sense to know!
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 10:40 PM on Apr. 3, 2009