Respect v. Tolerant

Do you feel as if there is a difference between "respect" and "tolerance"? Do you feel that they go hand-in-hand or can they be separated?

I feel as if the words tolerance, intolerance, tolerant are widely used in today's society...maybe to the point of overuse. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Respect and tolerance are very different concepts. They are separate ideas with separate meanings. Respect is limited and tolerance is not limited. As such I prefer respect much more than tolerance. It doesn't present an error of logic when I refuse to be respectful as it does if I cry that someone is being intolerant of my tolerance and visa versa.

The concept of tolerance is overused. So much so many people forget what it means and use it as a PC buzzword destroying the meaning in the public mind.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 5:41 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• tolâ‹…erâ‹…ance   /ˈtÉ’lÉ™rÉ™ns/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [tol-er-uhns] Show IPA
    –noun 1. a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry.
    2. a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own.
    3. interest in and concern for ideas, opinions, practices, etc., foreign to one's own; a liberal, undogmatic viewpoint.
    4. the act or capacity of enduring; endurance: My tolerance of noise is limited.
    Anonymous

• reâ‹…spect   /rɪˈspÉ›kt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ri-spekt] Show IPA
    –noun 1. a particular, detail, or point (usually prec. by in): to differ in some respect.
    2. relation or reference: inquiries with respect to a route.
    3. esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability: I have great respect for her judgment.
    4. deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment: respect for a suspect's right to counsel; to show respect for the flag; respect for the elderly.
    5. the condition of being esteemed or honored: to be held in respect.
    6. respects, a formal expression or gesture of greeting, esteem, or friendship: Give my respects to your parents.
    7. favor or par
    Anonymous

• They can be both. It just depends on the given situation.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:37 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I believe that to show tolerance is to show respect for another's belief even if I don't agree with that belief. Do I have to tolerate someone being abusive to me? no. but I don't need to belittle others so I feel better about my beliefs....
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 5:38 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• You can show tolerance for something but not necessarily have respect for it.
    Tolerance is something that can be given freely while respect should be earned and not given away freely.
    jmo
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 5:43 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I think they go hand in hand.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 6:23 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• i am intolerant of gluten, corn and soy. I do have respect for those that do eat them, however, and do not insist that MY intolerance rule everyone else's world...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 3, 2009