Kids and Computers...

My gs for Easter from us got a new Dell lap top pc... he has been using a pc since he turned 6 and now is 8. We have no parental controls setup for him and he is well aware of what he can and can not do with it.
He has computer lab in school has since pre-school and since we don't do cable or any tv in our home, the pc is our informational portal... he has been raised on it..

My question is, does your child have their own pc? or how much time if any is he/she allowed on the family pc?

I am just curious... I think it's extremely important that a child be very knowledgable on a pc and we have only very postive outcome with our little man...

gmasboy

Asked by gmasboy at 5:31 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son used to have his own laptop (my old one) but the battery died so now he just shares mine. Once he starts school we'll probably get him his own again, I'll be ready for a new one by that time so he can have this one.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:17 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My oldest does a lot of his schooling on the computer now, so we felt it was time he had his own laptop the help him keep his schoolwork organized and do his schooling at his leisure
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 5:38 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• we have 3 kids.
    we had 2 computers in the house for a long time. thre was no need for our kids to have onne of their very own. They can wait for their tirn on one of the two PCs.

Then I got a laptop for myself- for school planning- which I enjoy doing at a coffee shop or doing work in bed in the evening, etc.

so then we had a Kids Computer (but not theirs, ours, the did not own it- total our contol) they could take turns on and a PC for my husband- and my laptop.

When my oldest entered High School we bought him his own Laptop.

Our boys have always had access to the PCs and were knowledgable. They were making PowerPoint presentations and doing CAD Modelling from a young age.
    But a child only needs about an hour on the computer a day- There was no need for them to have their very own Computer.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 5:39 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• We have the one computer and our children are allowed to play on it when they have free time if they want. They are allowed only on sites we allow and they never have a problem with this. Our Son has his own email account with Zilladog (check it out if you don't know what it is it's great) They will have their own laptops when they are in 7th grade because our State gives every child a laptop at that age.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 5:50 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My kids use the family PC...I don't think it's necceassry for them to have their own at this point. I would definately have controls set up!!!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:08 PM on Apr. 3, 2009