When should i be able to find out the sex of the baby?

i went to the doctors when i was 18 weeks and they told me to come back in 3 weeks to find out what the sex of it is and my friend told me that they found out when she was 17 weeks why would they make me await longer?

tayanjosh

Asked by tayanjosh at 5:35 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• normally between 18 and 20 weeks is what my doc told me..
    lilysmommy1408

Answer by lilysmommy1408 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Anywhere from 17-20 weeks. Some drs want to wait longer for variety of reasons. Ultrasound tech has to do the sonogram. Maybe they are overbooked,etc. call the dr and ask.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:38 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• yes normally between 18 - 20 weeks but sometimes drs want to make sure the baby is big enough . i found out at 17 weeks but i was also told to just wait a llittle longer to make sure that it was righ t
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:38 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Every pregnancy and doctor are different about when they feel the sonogram should be done. That test is done for other reasons that just to let you know the sex of the baby. If you trust your doctor to know when to administer the right tests at the right time then you must just be patient. Try not to compare any part of your pregnancy with anyone else for each woman is unique and so are her pregnancies. You will know the sex of the baby with greater accuracy if you wait for the right time.
    www.newmommyteesandjeans.com
    Mommyghee

Answer by Mommyghee at 6:42 PM on Apr. 3, 2009