My son looks like he is 4 but is only 2 how do i deal

When we go to parks he gets teased by the kids because they think he is older and its really hard on me emotionally to watch it. It breaks my heart, i want to toughen up for him but I grew up without a mom and dont really know what i should do in this situation. Any advice could be helpful, thank you!!

emleejane

Asked by emleejane at 5:37 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I understand the emotions. And you are justified by them. I really think that when you do step up and parent a child when the parents wont... that is the biggest slap in the face. Its hard and frustrating, but sometimes you just have to step in. Its sad that the mom didn't do anything. She is really setting her son up for some really behavioral and emotional issues..... like lack of empathy.... but on the other hand, the fact that your son is confronted with this issue can be a postitive thing from it... if you handel it right, I am sure it will foster much compation for other in him.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:06 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• im sorry he gets teased idk why they would tease my son is 5 and is 4 ft 6 the only one taller then him is this girl on his basketball team lol . noone teases him so idk what to say but just let him know that he is special and he an reach the top shelf and those otther kids cant lol .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• everyone allwyas things my oldest is older then he is. Just be there to protect him. Right now, he doesn't need to toughen up. He needs his mom to stand up for him, he will eventually take lead and stand up for himself. Just polietly interveine. Explain to the kids that he is only 2, that he is just really tall.... lol.. my husband once told a kid that what that ment is that in 10 years, our son is going to be alot taller, and alot stronger then him... then he just sat there and stared at the kid till he walked away.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:55 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I know he doesnt need to toughen up, I said something to the mom and then we left and went to another park. It just blows my mind that moms dont say anything to their kids and I dont want to parent there kids for them, but I guess thats where I need to step in and not be afraid to say something. I just try to be more active and play with him by going down the slides with him and climbing on everything with him, I pretend to be a kid again. I just got so emotional this time watching it, I want to end it but know it wont. Thank you to everyone who has so far given me advice
    emleejane

Answer by emleejane at 6:00 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• well thank you so much it feels like a thousand pounds of pressure have been lifted. you know when you dont want to cross the line but feel you should, well you just gave me the reassurance to cross it.
    emleejane

Answer by emleejane at 6:08 PM on Apr. 3, 2009