my nephew is so mean!

ok I am only 23 but I have a nephew who is 18, another kid told me that my nephew smoked weed and pops pills, (first of all let's just remember my nephew is more like my brother), so of course i tell my sister (his mother) and of course she told my other nephew who is 19 and that one told the 18 year old. Anyways, long story short, my 18 year old nephew ended up texting me telling me that his life is just so terrible when i stick my nose in it and i tried to tell him that i was just worried about him cuz i love him, but he just thinks i'm the worst person in the world now and he won't even talk to me, I don't know what to do. I know that he's just a teenager and it's something he's going through. I just wish we could be like we used to. Anybody got any words of wisdom?

Kates1122

Asked by Kates1122 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• You did the right thing telling your sister and telling him that you are just looking out for him is really the best you can do....
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 5:59 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Maybe you should see him, and talk in private, he sounds like he's going down a bad path.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 5:42 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• He is an adult now..YOu cant and no one can really tell him what to do. I turned 18 and started doing drugs also..Glad to have snapped out of it but some people need to learn themselves..
    Anonymous

• well i mean i would have asked him before i told his mom but other ppl have told me the same thing and i ask him and he just snaps at me, he may be an adult, but that doesn't mean that I don't care and that I won't try to stop him from doing it, if I was doing something he didn't like, he would do the same thing, he's just not the same person anymore, and I see him hurting my sister all the time, I can't stand it, I'm ready for him to be about 25 and be past this phase.
    Kates1122

Answer by Kates1122 at 5:58 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• You can't do much more. Especially if he's addicted to anything, which he probably is if he had THAT big of a problem with it. He will have to WANT to stop and do it on his own. No one can do anything for him. In my opinion you just keep talking to your sister. Tell her not to be giving him money or anything like that. Maybe even consider kicking him out if he cant keep clean. Or call the cops if she finds it in her house. Tell her to set boundaries for her home. Make rules and stick to them. Including random drug tests. It will be hard but it's something that will help him learn. It's not easy by ANY means but once he learns for himself, that's when it will stop and things will go back to normal. I had to go through something similar with my, now, fiance. It was REALLY REALLY hard, but I had to kick him out of me and our sons life until he straightened up. His parents did the same and now he supports us, even financially. =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 10:50 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• If you want him to like you..Do't tell on him again.

Answer by louise2 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• He'll get his panties out of a twist. You did what you thought was right and it will all work out. Don't sweat it. Truth isn't a bad thing. If he didn't want anyone to know then he shouldn't be doing that crap.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:40 PM on Apr. 5, 2009