maybe you can help?

Have any of you had depression symptoms during pregnancy? I have been really depressed lately because I am losing weight instead of gaining and I still have no appetite, I force myself to eat and I don't feel good but if I don't eat I don't feel good. I had hyperemisis in the beginning and so I got behind on a lot of things...I am going to college and have a toddler so the housework got behind and I feel like I am making my son and husband live in a dirty house and it really isn't that dirty just messy from not being cleaned in 2 and 1/2 weeks. I feel like I am losing patience more with my son and I am the very extremely patient parent lol I am also afraid if I have another c-section I will be very depressed because I have my heart set on a vaginal birth and if I have to get a c-section just because labor isn't progresssing I will feel like a failure. I am also afraid that if this baby is a girl (which my mother instincts....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• all i can say is talk to your dr about it
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:59 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• CONT...are telling me that it is) I won't know how to take care of her when she hits teenage years because I never really was a teenager. I was abused as a child and went from 15 to 35 in a matter of months. I am good with my neices, cousins, and DH's goddaughter but I feel like when it is my own I won't know what to do and she will grow up to resent me like I do my parents. I also feel like since I have been treated for depression before and could not take any of the antidepressents because they gave me horrible side effects that it would be pointless to tell my OB because I can't take anything anyways. Anyone else have depression during pregnancy? What should I do?
    Anonymous

• You are feeling overwhelmed and stressed with all these negative thoughts running around in your mind. This is what you should do. You are going to have to change your mindset and every time you have a negative thought find a positive one to replace it with. This is why yo nave no appetite and are short tempered with your baby. This can be the most beautiful time in our life, you have a home to clean and a family to love and who loves you. If this baby is a girl it is a second chance at the mother/daughter relationship you never had. You will know exactly what to do with a daughter because you can provide all the things for your daughter you craved as a girl. I's not easy but you have to find the positive in every situation and dwell on those things. Sing out loud when you are feeling blue, hug your man and your baby and say a prayer for some peacefulness and things will change. www.newmommyteesandjeans.com
    Mommyghee

Answer by Mommyghee at 6:22 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I think that you need to seek a counselor. There may be some thing that they can do to help you cope with some of your problems. I just think that you are overly concerned about a lot. I think that you are not a failure if you body doesn't progress during labor. You can't make your body do something that it isn't ready to do or can't. That doesn't make you as a person a failure. The house work will always be there. You need to relax and just take care of the people around you and when you get to the cleaning you get to it. HUGS!
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:23 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• yes- agree with the pp's i think u should talk to someone- because its not good for u to feel this way while preggo or ever for that matter- i too was abused when i was younger- sexually physically- it got to the point where i got hooked on drugs at 17- and i mean really serious ones- i almost lost my life- all because i felt like my parents didnt care about the things i was going through at the time- there was even a time where one of their friends tried to force himself on me when i was 11 and 12 and i couldnt even tell them because when i hinted towards it they reacted so negatively that i just kept it in- but i wasnt able to get over all of that and my depression until i talked to someone- so whether its a dr a counselor a friend a preacher or even just a friendly stranger- u should talk it out! and i bet u once u get these thoughts and feelings out into the open u will feel like a weight has been lifted off of ur chest
    Anonymous

• cont- and then u will really be able to heal for ur sake and ur families sake and that little innocent newborns sake
    Anonymous

• i'm having alot of the same issues. i don't eat until i feel hungry which is not as often as it should be, and with morning/noon/night sickness i hate eating anyways because i know half the time it's all coming up anyways.
    i have the same feeling on if i were to have a girl, i basically raised myself, with some help from my older brother. my parents were around but they were on drugs. i'm scared if it's a girl she will hate me.. i'm also having marriage problems and i had depression before pregnancy.. it's alot worse now. i don't feel like cleaning, so i don't. except the dishes because i can't stand to see dirty dishes. DH has to do his own laundry which is apparently hard work for him. and vaccuming? forget it.
    i'm seeing a therapist, only twice since pregnancy but it does help. i feel better every time i leave her office. she said to walk outside and write but i have no motivation.. it's hard. i feel your pain momma
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:26 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• cont-
    the only advice i have for you is to force yourself to do something, anything positive. EVERYDAY. if you can manage. talking to other moms on here has helped me alot and i check in with the groups often. you're not alone in your depression, or any of your feelings.
    write, if you can get the time. even just a little, just whatever pops into your head, write for 5 minutes a day and put it away. or even burn it, if you don't want anyone to find it. sometimes writing it out feels like talking to someone, getting it off your chest and out of your head. try yoga, meditation.. all these things i should be doing myself but instead i sit here on the damn computer. take your baby out for a walk. go to the park. take a warm (not too warm!) bath with candles while your kid is asleep. and try really hard to eat right, at least drink enough water.bad eating habits make depression so much worse. open your blinds and let the sun in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:32 AM on Apr. 4, 2009