My dd seems to have diarrhea

She hasn't had anything different from normal. I have tried giving her water, but she won't drink it. I put some rice cereal in her lunch, but so far she has pooped 6 times already today. What else could cause diarrhea? Since she won't drink plain water, should I give her extra formula, like an extra bottle? Or maybe put like a half of a scoop of formula into some water to trick her into drinking it? She just finished dinner and is otherwise normal and happy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 6:18 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Tummy bug!! sometimes the only symptom you get is diareah... bananas are great for that... just keep her hydrated and it should pass in a day or two.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:20 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• So just giving an extra bottle is good? She won't drink water! I even resorted to putting a little Hawaiian Punch in it and she still wouldn't drink it. How do I get this child to drink water? Squeeze fresh lemons into it?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:25 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Yeah, jsut give her as much formula as she wants. She will get plenty of fluid from it. I would say that formula would be better then water because it will giver her calories, nutrients, and keep her electrolites balanced. Giving water to a baby can mess up their electolites and potassium and sodium ratios.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:30 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• NO HAWAIIAN PUNCH. If you're FFing then give a bit of pedialite for electrolytes if you must. Also, call the doctor. They may have you do something else. Your profile says she's 8 months. You can try the BRAT diet which is bananas, rice, applesauce and toast, just omit the toast. If you're breastfeeding then nurse her or give her pumped milk. She doesn't need water either way. Either formula and pedialite(separately, not mixed together) or breast milk only.
    AND NO WATERING DOWN FORMULA.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 6:50 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Her dr told me she could have as much water as she wanted. She will be 9 months in 5 days. If she doesn't need water, well frankly right now I'm glad, because she WONT drink it. And when I say I put a little Hawaiian Punch, I mean like a drop in a 4 oz bottle of water . . just thought she might drink it if it was a little sweet, but NOPE. She's only had juice twice. Once for constipation and once because Grandma gave it to her . . . (I put an end to that).
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• yogurt...stops diareha and my lil one loves it!
    zigaboo20

Answer by zigaboo20 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 3, 2009