My doc told me to cut my toddler's milk down to 2 bottles, and I forgot to ask why. Do you know why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Too much milk can cause dahrreah in kids. And also can add to many calories, there could be a number of reasons. Call and ask the nurse if you are still curious.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 6:37 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• could be trying to prevent obesity. WIC put us on 2% even though my 2 year old only weighs 30 lbs.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:38 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Call your Dr.'s office and speack to a Nurse, they can tell you.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 6:38 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Milk has hormones that if given in hight quantities can affect your child. Too much of something can have bad affects .Milk does make you gain weight also . I also reduce the amount of milk with my kids and diference was very noticle . It also opens the door for the tummy to intake other fluids like juices and water more variety for those tast buds I hope that helps .
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 6:44 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• As a toddler the majority of his/her calories should be coming from whole foods not just milk. Over a year and too much milk can equal malnurished kids over time.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:48 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• It could be because the toddler is still on bottles. He may have meant to cut down on the bottles, not the milk.

He could have meant to cut down on the milk consumption as well....especially if you are filling the bottles all the way. Our pediatrician wants our boys to have 20-24oz per day and they are on 2%. Two bottles would be about 16oz..

You should call the doctor's office and leave a message for him to call you so you can ask and get the correct answer to your question.

Honestly, we can't read your doctor's mind. lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:50 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• they say that too much milk and not enough nutrition can cause low iron levels and can harm your LO's intestines
    nishchav

Answer by nishchav at 7:39 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• How old is the toddler?
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:03 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• hey may have meant the bottles of and in themselves- not the milk. The toddler should be off the bottles.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 8:21 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My son's doctor told us the same thing recently (he is 15 months old), the reason in our case is that his iron was a little bit low (9.8, should be 11), and all the calcium in the milk makes it harder to absorb iron. So she asked how much milk we gave him and it was more like 4 cups a day, so she said just cutting that back to 2 cups should bring his iron up.
    Sandie0819

Answer by Sandie0819 at 1:34 AM on Apr. 4, 2009