Sick Baby

Hi mamas my 7 month old has had a cough, nasal congestion and a runny nose for the last two days. I know there 's really nothing that I can give her but what can I do to make her feel better or be more comfortabe??? I've been using a cold mist humidifier but it does. seem to be helping.

ms.taylor_made

Asked by ms.taylor_made at 7:26 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Elevate the head of the bed.
    Steam in the bathroom (shower) and suction out what you can.
    Run a humidifier (cool mist or steam whichever works best for your baby) in the room.
    Saline nasal drops at diaper changes, suction what you can.
    Tylenol for discomfort.

Don't suction too much, as it can cause the nasal passages to swell and make it more difficult to breathe.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:43 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• All ideas above are great. A couple additions - nurse or give a bottle in a steamy bathroom...it forces them to breath exclusively through their nose which will help clear out the nose. Vapor bath - Johson and Johnson makes a bath soap that you put in the water with Eucalyptus, Peppermint and other natural fragrance that helps open up the nasal passages. Ibprofen is an anti inflammatory and will help reduce swelling in the nasal and ear passages and can help promote easier breathing (if swollen passages are the issue) so if your doctor has okay'd ibprofen (Usually okay after 6 mo.) then give that instead.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:02 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I second all said above, and add a few more. Get some chamomile tea and make it fairly weak and put it in your babys bottle (you can sweeten it with a LITTLE sugar so he will take it). This will hydrate your baby and its all natural and safe! Also they have baby vicks that you can use. When you put him to bed take some of that and put it on his little feet (yes feet lol) and make sure you put socks on him after you do that and that will help with his cough. Also you can do like a homemade vaporizer type thing to help with breathing, we take a coffee mug and boil some water, and take a spoof with some vicks on it and stir it up in the water and leave it in the room with my son when he goes to bed. It smells wonderful and works like a charm. Just make sure you close the door to the room for like 20 minutes at first so it permeates the whole room. I hope your little one is feeling better!
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 10:40 PM on Apr. 3, 2009