My baby looks just like the dad!

So while reading a poll I noticed that most moms think that their baby looks like the dad at first. I know I thought my son looked JUST like his dad in the first couple of months. Someone also said that moms say that babies look like their dad so that there can be a bond between the father and baby. That got me wondering and I decided to do some research. I came across this website:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-414723/Why-mums-say-baby-looks-just-like-daddy.html

Which basicially supports that most moms will subconciously believe and say that a baby looks like the dad to reassure a bonding feeling. What do you think about that?

AdensMommy1107

Asked by AdensMommy1107 at 7:28 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe. Every time my son makes a face or does something that reminds me of my husband, I will tell my husband and he always says "I don't know why you keep comparing him to me. I know he looks like me and I know he's my son!!". I never really thought of it as a bonding issue, I just think it's really crazy and cute every time I notice. I also do it when I notice that my son looks like me.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 7:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Oh HECK no!!

My boys all looked like ME as infants. Everyone (except MIL) said it, including me! At 4 months they actually looked a LOT like my brother! As they became toddlers and their looks really started changing, the oldest is the SPITTING image of my dad, the second looks like my husband, and the third definitely has more similarities to my side.

Okay...except for the nose. All of them definitely had their dad's nose!!! LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:37 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Could be, but I know that's not the case with my little one especially since EVERY ONE from the moment she was born said she looked like her daddy, so there def was no denying there lol Right now she's a mixture of him and I (she's 8 months) so we'll have to wait and see who she looks most like in a couple of years.
    MarinesSweetie

Answer by MarinesSweetie at 11:29 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Pay attention!! I TOTALLY believe that the first kid always looks like the dad! I knew a couple years ago; the dad had auburn hair & lots freckles, and the mom had blonde hair & a perky little nose. They had 2 kids - the oldest son looked EXACTLY like the dad, hair & freckles, and the youngest looked like her mom. I'm white & my X is Italian...my daughter, who's our first, has tan skin, dark hair and eyes while my son looks like my side of the family. I think it has something to do with the man not running off if the first kid doesn't resemble him making him think its another man's.
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 11:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My son looked like both of us equally when he was little... and now he looks more like me then his dad.
    But I have heard that too... that a baby looks more like their dad so that they accept the baby as theirs (and not someone elses)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:43 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My daughter looks JUST like me. Everyone in my family that saw a picture of her when she was born, asked if that was a picture of me, or Lilly. She's our first (and maybe our only) and looks JUST like me. She has my ears, my eyes, my hands, my feet, my chin...can't exactly figure out whos nose she has yet, and she has my skin tone too. She's got darker hair than me, but her daddy has darker hair too, so that so far is his! LOL! I mean, I'm sure if I were to look at his infant pictures, she'd look somewhat like him too.....
    Lillysmomma1024

Answer by Lillysmomma1024 at 11:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• When the nurse placed my son, my first and only child, in my arms, my first thought was, "Oh my god, he looks JUST like me when I was a newborn!" He really did. It was insane. But as he grew older, I could see some of his father's features in him. People always mistake his father and I for siblings because we look so much alike. With an exception of our infant photos. We couldn't look more different. But I don't know if more of his dad's genes will show through when he is older. We'll have to wait and see.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 2:35 AM on Apr. 4, 2009