Getting rid of moles-the furry kind in my backyard.....

So our lives have finally calmed down and we want to have a garden this year. Except we have a horrible problem with moles and rabbits in our backyard. I know we can put a chicken wire fence around a garden to keep the bunnies out. How can we get rid of the moles???? I am from a background of rednecks....and the only way I know is to shove firecrackers in the holes and let them go off....do that 3 times a day for 2 weeks and the critters won't want to come back!!!! Problem is I live in the city limits, and that is illegal....so how can I get rid of them without the use of explosives?????

mamatware

Asked by mamatware at 7:28 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Home & Garden

• OMG...I just have to say...I read this as "the furry kind in my behind" lol...completely different meaning. You get grub killers and treat the edge of your property line...they eat the grubs and when they see they're not there, they don't come in your yard. You can also roll your lawn to squish all their tunnels.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:31 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• There is a thing that is sold that looks like a stick.. You put in the ground..Has batteries..Makes some sort of sound that bothers the moles...And makes them move out of your yard.

Answer by louise2 at 7:31 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• One thing that actually worked here was to put cat poop into the holes. The smell scares the critters away.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:41 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Moth balls, the smell resembles amonia and critters don't like it, and it's cheap!!!
    Becki.Nagy

Answer by Becki.Nagy at 7:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• we've had gophers making hole all over my backyard =[ so we have little mountains in our yard.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 2:17 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I know that this is going to sound weird... I heard an old wives tale about putting a stick of Juicy Fruit gum into the hole. I am not sure if it is the taste or the smell that gets them. You have to be very careful not to touch the gum . I tried it, and it seems to have worked. It is either the gum or they just moved on to the neighbors yard. :)
    emdred

Answer by emdred at 10:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2009