Do you let them sing?

I babysit a seven year old who loves to sing but has the most awful voice I have ever heard. And she repeats the same lines over and over so it's endless. Today I didn't feel good so I made her stop before I went insane! Do your kids do this? Do you ever make them stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• why would you make them stop? theyre little kids i dont expect little kids to have wonderful amazing singing voices. theyre having fun with themselves let them be jeeze!
    Anonymous

• I let him  sing until his hear is content.  When I taught a class at Church (substituted their teacher was sick ) I had no lesson and the only color picture I could find was"Make a Joyful noise" one little boy took the lesson to heart and when we were back in the auditorium he sang with the congregation at the top of his lungs his Mom was mortified because she couldn't get him to shut up. Let thim SING it might make you feel better to see them enjoying themselves. I love to hear kids.

smiley630

Answer by smiley630 at 8:01 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My 13 year old does this. She has a nice voice but she will get stuck on a song or even a part of a song and it just comes out. The only rule I have is not during dinner and not if someone is talking to you. Upon occasion I will ask her to hum or change songs so the song doesn't get stuck in my head.

Unless it is rude or disrepectful let it slide and learn to tune the sound out.

Why were you babysitting if you are sick? Do you have this child all the time?
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:02 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I have a really bad headache so I'm not really sick. And yes I keep her everyday and usually I have no problem with her singing today it was just really getting to me.
    Anonymous

• I may be the only one but sometimes enough is enough.
    I just tell my kids if they still need to sing when I am done listening then they should go sing in their room.

I am very sensitive to noises so after a few minutes I have had enough. I don't think there is anything wrong with asking them to be considerate of others pain.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:25 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Yes, I let them sing- however if it is so loud I cannot hear myself think or I cannot hear someone else speaking to me in the room I may ask them to sing someplace a little farther away!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:37 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I feel your pain, it is one thing to allow them the freedom to express themselves and enjoy singing but it is an entirely different thing when they sing one thing endlessly. A young boy stayed with us that had a terrible habit of being repetitious. I made him stop, called his attention to what he was doing and told him that it was annoying and uncalled for. He still enjoyed singing but he kept the repetition to a minimum and we all survived:-)
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 8:48 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I'd tell the kid to take it somewhere else and keep it quiet.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:36 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My waste of skin older sister used to tell us to stop that we had horrible voices. What a F@#%ing B@tch she was! Just one of the many things I hate and resent her for. I wouldn't tell the child that they had a bad voice, unless they are going to you for voice instruction or it is having a negative impact on their social life then it is not your place to give a reality check. Maybe just ask them to stop because you have a headache.
    Anonymous

• I make them stop! Or I start telling them to stop sing from their nose. Another thing i tell my 9 yr DD is if you don't know the words don't sing the song. She started listening to the songs and writing down all the words, now carries the paper with her when she sings LOL. if anything it helped her handwriting and listening skills.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 9:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2009