I am on maternity leave right now. and I am going to have my baby Monday. My question is if you worked somewhere where you couldnt call in sick, couldnt take a day off, got crap if you needed to leave early or needed to take a late lunch would you go back to work there? I hate where I work at I know when its time to go back I am going to be miserable I cant leave the desk if no one is up there

I know we are in a bad economy but seriously I am miserable where I work at. and I get the added bonus of working to pay off my insurance for 3 weeks because I am using my whole entire 16 weeks of FMLA. The girl I work next to gets away with everything and I get knit picked for everything. I know I wont be there for my newborn baby and that also bums me out and my co worker keeps bugging me to come back. I really need advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you can afford it, I say stay at home. Or use your leave to look for another more family friendly job. You dont want to burn bridges if you loose this one from them nitpickingyou to death when the baby is sick or anything like that, so you may as well find one sooner than that before you have a bad reference, cause it sounds like they would be the type to do that to you. GL, I know it is a hard decision
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 8:11 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• You'll probably have a lot more times where you will need to call in sick and take time off once your baby is here. There's only so much a sitter can do, and sometimes mommy-care is the best. So, since this employer has shown they are going to be a problem, I would suggest finding a job to replace it as soon as possible. DO NOT quit. If you get fired because of whatever, you can collect unemployment. You can't collect unemployment if you quit!

So, if you get fired because you're taking time off to "be sick" (actually job interviewing), you'll still have some income coming in for awhile.

As for your co-worker....misery loves company. She probably needs to find a new place, too.

Good Luck...
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 8:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I agree with timelessglass... once the baby is born, there will be so many times you will have a reason to call in - well child checkups, sick baby, you getting sick, child care issues... if that is going to be an issue and you can't be a SAHM, I would start looking at other jobs. Family-friendly jobs can be hard to find, but they are invaluable!
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 10:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Find something else. Quick.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:03 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Check your employee handbook before not going back. I went back for 2 weeks before quitting and they said that I had to return for 30 days after coming back from leave or pay back the benefits they paid out when I was out. I got billed for over $2000
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Maybe you could check into something else to do from home. I've been looking for nearly 9 months, and it seems like if you look hard enough, there's stuff out there. You have to be open to trial and error though. I just got hired by a company to work from home. I will submit to a background check and go through orientation, but the hours are flexible enough that hopefully this will be the job I've been looking for.
    I stayed at a similar job for nearly 6 years. I kept thinking things would get better. All the "boys" in the office treated their job as a pass time- showing up late, taking long lunches, basically making their own schedule. They were in the sales dept. so they were spoiled. I finally thought I made it when I was promoted from Admin. to Sales Manager. Turned out I was just put in that room to be their punching bag- someone for the boss to yell at when they had all screwed up.
    Just start sending your resume out!
    chickadee8654

Answer by chickadee8654 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Get out of there!It is impossible not to miss work with kids, and being unhappy is not good for your health. You have other options whether it is to find another job, work from home,or start a business. YOu have choices! It just takes some research, planning, and determination. What do you want for yourself and your baby?DO you want to stay home?I wanted to stay home so I researched tons of opportunities.I decided owning my own business was the best route for me because of the flexibility, and earning potential.When you are on FLMA leave you will be tired with a new baby, but try to look for something better for yourself. After all my research I chose a business that Is called My World Plus. I love it, and it has worked great with my two babies. There is NO selling, No cold calling , NO parties, NO inventory and it cost very little to start up. http://AmmyWilkins.MyWorldMoms.com Good luck!!
    zipitty

Answer by zipitty at 9:55 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I'm in that same situation except I don't get FMLA. Not only do I not qualify for it, but I took my leave too early thinking the baby was coming early!
    So my maternity leave it almost up and of course I'm going to need longer if I haven't even had him yet! Reading the responses you got, that's a good point about how you're going to be needing to take more time off when the baby gets sick and stuff...
    Please let me know what you decide to do, maybe I will end up doing the same!
    MichelleGill

Answer by MichelleGill at 10:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2009