How do you ladies do it?

Today, I babysat the grandkids, ages 1 and 4. I was so tired and exhausted. It's been a long time since I had them and since I had my own of course. I ran out of coloring pages, books etc. What do you do to keep them occupied all day ladies? And how do you ladies do this all day, every day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Lol Got to have at least 10 different things for them to do and don't give them to them all at once, If you have more than one together you have it made, they should just play with each other, you just put equal amounts of each thing down, otherwise make a list of projects, When patience wakes up we change her, clean her up and go potty, then she pulls out her chair helps me make her breakfast and eats while watching Dora. After she is done she reads for a little bit, then we play with her letters (both letters and colors) she is usually ready for an hour nap after this, I sometimes nap with her, or I clean and prepare for her to wake up. she doesn't sleep long during this nap itsmore like an I got up too early nap. She eats a little snack when she gets up and we do an art project, we color together, or paint, and I found these wonderful foam stickers that she loves, Or we find other things to do as an art project. and so on.
    Mommyxtwo777

Answer by Mommyxtwo777 at 8:27 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• When you have a group of kids together they entertain themselves. With my 2 year old he eats, sleeps, watch cartoons, play with his toys, torture is sister etc etc. I also take him for walks and go to park...its endless how busy a toddler can keep you and themselves.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 8:18 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• First off, thank you for acknowledging how exhausting baby sitting is.  I have only a two year old and am 42 years old-old enough to be his grandma-and some days I feel like a zombie. 

Like diamondmamma said, my son does all that....minus the fun of a sibling.  He has me to torture instead.

Go take a hot bath with a good book and cup of tea or glass of wine!  You deserve it.

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 8:22 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Aw, you are such a good grandmother!
    My oldest daughter moved back home to have her baby and I am around her constantly. It is such a joy! But I am sure glad that I don't have to get up for those night feedings anymore and when I need some "me" time during the day I just hand her back to her mommy...lol.
    How on earth did I do it with 3 little ones running around back in my 20's? Good grief! I have gotten OLD!!! LOL
    :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:30 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My children are grown but I have always had childcare in my home and all we do is stick to a schedule. It differs in the cold months as we can't get out as much, but the children just generally do whatever I am doing, play, sing, color, flash cards, read, go for walks, explore nature, etc..... And of course between all of the cooking, cleaning, eating and napping, our day is full to the brim! We do have lots of fun, we like to chase them around and dance with them and laugh our fool heads off:-)) Children are such great blessings! I can't wait to be a grandmother, Oh my goodness!
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 8:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I don't know, it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. lol. there are a lot of kisses and snuggles in my house and I don't hesitate to say quiet time- and they go and play in their rooms for a quick minute.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:34 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• You are a good grandma. Mine MIL comes around about once a year and she lives 5 min away, she has an infinite number of illnesses and things that flare up at the last moment. My mother lives 25 miles away and has a job she can rarely ever visit but she does call about once a week.

An above poster said something about 10 things for them to do but not all at once, I agree with that. Find activities that they can both do together, and when it is nice outside take them to the park set boudaries around the park like you can't pass this curb or fence or whatever and let them just take off. I did that with my first son when he was small I worked over night and had him all day so I would take him to the park and let him run untill he was exauhsted, then we would both come home and take a nap.
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 8:48 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• timelessglass-you think 42 is a grandma age? that's me in 5 years,I can't imagine being a grandma then!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• 42, thats me now...my oldest is 23 so I could be a gma. I have two that are 2 and 3 and I am sooo tired too. My first three were born when I was young and had more patients and energy. I just keep up because I dont want my little ones to think their mom is old lol.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:45 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Girls, me the OP. I am 45 and was a grandma at 40! Yes, it happens.. but I was a mom at 19
    Anonymous