My 9 year old dog keeps attatcking my toddler and my husband does not want to get rid of the dog what can I do?

The dog has broken the skin, but no stitches. My toddler has not provoked the dog, he is just jealous. My husband does not want to get rid of the dog or have him put down and the vet is no help.

mrsmom07

Asked by mrsmom07 at 8:26 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get rid of the husband? lol Sorry. I'll try to think of a real answer.
    Anonymous

• Are there correction schools for dogs that have attacked? I'd look into something like that. But if your toddler's not safe, you can't keep him around. What is your husband's argument for keeping the dog?
    Anonymous

• Thats a hard one, but your kid comes first, before the dog and before the husband even. I would try some serious obedience training, and maybe even kck your husband out with the dog until he can get a clue. Especially if he has broken skin already. Have you ever watched that show "it's me or the dog"? It's on animal planet and deals with stuff like this, she is always telling the family how to deal with a dog that thinks he is boss, even with little kids. Try looking up her tips online or even watching the show (hell, call her and see if she can help, lol) But I am under the impression that if you bite my kid you find a new home, even if you have to do it when hubby is at work or gone. Put an add on craigslist. GL
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 8:34 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• What is wrong with dh that he doesnt want to get rid of the dog that wants to eat your kid?
    Maybe show him some pictures of dog attacks on kids or something?
    Or, you could "accidentally" leave the door open when you leave for work or something and when you get home be "very" upset.

ROFL just kidding about the last part. I am in a wacky mood.
    Anonymous

• ya want me to feed him antifreeze ? the hubby,not the dog.I would tell him either the dog goes or him,and the dog. good luck,but I would do something,whether he like it or not. I know a little girl,that lost an eye because of a dog,she is now 8 with a glass eye.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 8:40 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I'm sorry, but what is more important to your husband...your child or the dog? I think that your husband's priorities are completely out of sync. If that were my dog and they attacked my child...whether or not there was blood, that dog would be gone in an instant. It's yours and your husband's job to protect your child...even from the family pet. Get rid of the dog whether or not your husband agrees. If you keep letting it attack your child (which you are since you have not done anything about it) what's going to happen the next time? Will you finally get rid of the dog when your child's face gets eaten or worse, gets killed?? I'm sorry that you are faced with this decision, but it should be a pretty simple one.
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry, but you cannot rehabilitate a dog that is already attacking a child. Get rid of it. If the city knew that your dog was attacking your child, they would come and euthanize it in a heart beat. Don't make the mistake of letting your poor child get attacked again.
    Anonymous

• Give the dog Benedryl, that will chill it out!
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 9:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I am not sure if you can give the dog benedryl... but i would say possible make the dog an outside dog??? can that be a compromise?? if not muzzle him when your child is awake. and make sure the child is not procoking the dog.. that happens a lot and the dog is blamed
    muzikgrl477

Answer by muzikgrl477 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• keep the dog away from your child at all times, in another room or outside or something. Tell your husband you will not tolerate the dog attacking your child even though you love the dog too you must keep your child safe. If you have to buy a crate and keep the dog in it until your husband gets home and can take it out and care for it in another room away from you and your child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Apr. 4, 2009