How did you potty train your 2 year old?

My son Ethan is going to be 2 years old May 22nd. I think he's ready to be potty trained. He's been taking me to change his diaper when he has a wet or dirty diaper. What I think will be hard about it is that although he is almost 2 years old, he doesnt talk much. (He is in speech therapy.) So he cant let me verbally know if he has to go potty. He can let me know that he has gone, but not that he has to. What do you suggest? Im thinking of putting him on the potty when he wakes up, and every 15 minutes after that, but am not sure how to go about this. Ethan is my first, and my second is on the way.

DandieMandie

Asked by DandieMandie at 8:43 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dd was potty trained by 19 months and my 15 month old has been pee trained for a month she still poops them though, but I used underpants and underpants only while at home it is a lot of messes and cleaning up but they need to feel when they go. I am willing to tell you more on what I did but only if you want feel free to pm me and ask me any questions you might have.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:46 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• mommy5409 my daughter tells me she pooped is that a sign for training her for the pottty
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 8:48 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Take a look at the Potty Training Moms group on CM. There's a lot of info on the 3-day method, which I recommend. It worked great for my daughter at 19 months. He doesn't need to be verbal to let you know he needs to potty. He lets you know other things he wants, right?
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:50 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Teach him the sign for "potty" so he can communicate with you.

Sit him on the potty when he gets up, before going to bed, before leaving the house, when getting back to the house (any time when you would normally go) and probably every hour between. Boys don't have to go that often. Putting them on more often can backfire because they get mad about having to sit there so often.

When he does go, praise him. Don't make a HUGE deal about it because it is what he's expected to do. When there's an accident, don't make a HUGE deal about it because it's going to happen. "We'll have to go faster next time!"

But then I waited until mine were three. We were done within a month. I know my boys...it would have taken MUCH longer if we tried it earlier.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:04 AM on Apr. 4, 2009