Sunburn

Any creative ways to alleviate the itch from sunburn? I went tanning yesterday and apparently they have new bulbs and now I have a crimson tushy. Before anyone tells me about the dangers of tanning beds, I know them. I am going to central america in July and want to prepare my skin. A slight burn here is WAY better than a major burn there that could and would ruin my entire vacation. So . . . I'm itchy beyond all belief and have an Aloe Vera gel with lidocaine, but the itch!! It's making me crazy!!! Any help would be stupendous!

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I had a horrrrrrrrible sunburn a few years ago. Actually, it was about ten years ago now and realizing that makes me feel old... Anyway, I tried vinegar first, all it did was stink (if it helped I missed that part). Then I tried the hydrocortisone and it helped, but I was burned BAD.  Believe it or not, someone told us to try soaking in a bath of tea.  As miserable as we (my step-mom and I) were, we were willing to try anything.  So we soaked in a bath of tea.  Now, it only helped on a seriously minor level, but afterwards I had the best tan EVER.  And I didn't burn once for the rest of the year, which is unheard of for me, so if you're working on your base, it might not hurt to try it.

GrahamsMomAngel

Answer by GrahamsMomAngel at 9:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• i wouldn't go to a tanning bed again
    Anonymous

• Wow, that will help me now anon! Thanks so much for your time.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:48 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Witch hazel. And a lot of lotion. And time,,time heals a wounds

Answer by louise2 at 8:49 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• ment ALL wounds

• The only thing I can think of is to put some lotion on it. I know it's not much help but thats all I can think of right now. Hopefully tomorrow it won't be so itchy!
    jziegler

Answer by jziegler at 8:50 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I knew what you meant! :) . . . wishing I had some witch hazel right now!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:50 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• soak in the tub, cool water and rub on hydrocortizone
    brancoj

Answer by brancoj at 8:55 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• vinegar is good for sunburn too, but I don't know if it helps with the itch. Lotion is good because when the skin is burned all the moisture has been sucked out so keeping lotion on it will help with the peeling and keep it moisturized.

I must say anyone who tans in a tanning bed is very brave. I can't do it I am afraid of confined spaces i would feel like I was in a coffin. Just seeing a tanning bed makes me short of breath.
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 8:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• OOOO . . I have hydrocortisone. Does it really work?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2009