Young Mothers...why?

Why is it that if you see a young mom (22 and under) having a baby, you think "oh man..shes too young!" or "She must be on welfare..or food stamps" or even "She's throwing her life away!"?

I mean I understand that there are some young mothers who shouldnt have children..but why does that make the whole stereotype bad for the rest of the young mothers??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• no one has the right to tell a woman if she can or can not have babys
    Anonymous

• Because unfortunately there is a few that set the bad example for the rest of us and people just want to look at *them* to pinpoint mistakes and make a generalization about everyone else
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 8:51 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I dont know but I am a mom at 20 (19 when I had her) and no I wouldnt ever think of using the system unless i absolutely needed to. I believe in working for what you have and need. I hope im not one of the people that others think that about, I carry myself with pride and dont think anyone has thought that about me, atleast hope not
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 8:51 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I have no idea. I was 21 when my first child was born. I was married, quit my job to be a stay at home mommy. No welfare, hubs had a good job. BUT....I look at my own kids now, and where they were at 21. They were in NO WAY prepared to be parents then. So maybe it's my generation looking at our own kids?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:51 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Because if you knew what us women(older women) who have been in your place know..You would wait tell your 30's to have kids. Or never have them.
    Anonymous

• im 19 and have a 15 month old daughter, i get criticized over it constantly. my daughter has more than enough toys and gets fed bathed and everything. we take very good care of her. and all on our own. my fiance makes 35000 a year. i think were doing great for being so young. yeah we made a mistake of having a baby so young but i would never take her back for anything. i love her so much. she is our life. if it wasnt for her we probably wouldnt have stopped drinking and partying. who knows where we would be right now. all i know is she changed us for the better. i dont care what anyone says anymore. we may be young but oh well.
    hisfuturewifey

Answer by hisfuturewifey at 8:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I was 22 when I had my first dd and she is my world. She was also planned and just bc it is a young mother doewsn't mean anything about the welfare thing I got married at 21. We have been on hubbbys only paycheck since 2005 and we aren't and haven't ever been on welfare or food stamps. So being a young mother doesn't mean they are on welfare
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:55 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I was 18 when I had my first. I think the ones who were the worst who looked down on me were the ones who did it too, and they look at all they missed out on. I dont regret having my kids, but honestly I would have waited if I were a little more aware of what it ment to be a mom. I would have traveled, gone away to college, etc. But like I said, I did it fine, and alot of young mom's are doiung great, I think they are just looking at more of what you are missing out on than that you cant do it.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 8:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Oh believe me I understand that young people can make it..I am a young mother..had my first at 16 and now I have 3 total and Im 21..I love being a mom but Im just sick and tired of people saying "geez but your so young!..You barely look old enough to have one!!!"
    Anonymous

• I also think it's a generation thing. Not every mom is married, not even close, young OR older. It's sad to see that some people think that because I was 17 when I had my son, that I threw my life out and stuff. They are wrong there. Especially having kids they should KNOW they are wrong. My son is my life. If I was throwing my life out, I would've thrown him out. And I didn't I took responsibility of my actions and I was a single mom for the first year and a half. I could honestly care less what other moms have to say about me. They can judge me if they want to, but ya know.... what's that going to do for anyone? Not a damn thing. =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 9:01 PM on Apr. 3, 2009