• In the Spotlight:

pacifier, pros and cons

I would like to hear all the pros and cons of using a pacifier. I'm not sure whether to use one or not. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i was told it was good yes it was for my daughter then when she was 18 months i took her off of it omg lets just say she cryed for a week at night time i wouldn't use it
    Anonymous

• pacifiers are a soothing tool. if your baby wants one give it to him/her. i have 4 children and they all used it. they never had any dependency issues and gave them up by 2. they all have beautiful teeth as well.
    living4mykids

Answer by living4mykids at 8:55 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Babies have a natural sucking need and the pacifier can be taken away and thrown out, a thumb cannot.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:55 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Well, studys have found that crib deaths have went down 70% using one. I used one and took it away when my daughter was 7 months old Ya it took a week or so but it was worth it.
    Check out www.parents.com
    Anonymous

• I know I am not the most educated of moms, but with my child, I had no choice. It was the only way to soothe her and calm her down. What I did do, though, was take it out of her mouth once she was asleep and I refused to allow her to have it past the age of two. It was very easy to break her of the habit.
    My second daughter sucked her thumb - she did it in the womb and it went right into her mouth as soon as she let out her first cry when she was born. That was a difficult habit to break, but it was done when she was old enough to know it needed to be stopped and she was willing to cooperate.
    My third daughter sucked on the corner of her 'blankie,' which was the most difficult habit of all three to break. My goodness, she would pitch a wicked fit if I had to even wash it!
    You will need to read your infant's signals and figure out the best way to soothe him/her and keep your mind open to all options.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:59 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My daughter took a paci for a few months. The nursery of the hospital gave her one because they said she wouldn't calm down for them. After that, I had so much trouble trying to get her to latch on when I fed her, & I had to pump & give her a bottle for about 3 months. When I finally got her to EBF, she wouldn't take one anymore.

I've heard that it's good for reducing the risk of SIDS.. It also helps with their natural desire to suck on everything.
    _MommyRachel_

Answer by _MommyRachel_ at 9:09 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• We gave one to my son in the hospital and he sucked away for 2 months and that was it. I've heard it can cause nipple confusion especially when breastfeeding but my son never had a problem.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I tried to get my daughter to use one, because it helps prevents SIDS. She was never really interested in it though. She has recently started sucking her thumb, but only when she is in bed. I don't stop her. I say try it. Your baby may not even want it, but it is beneficial in those first 6 months and as a pp said, you can take away the pacifier . . . I don't know what I will go through with her thumb.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• i heard it helps with SIDS and as far as anyone says about it damaging their teeth and delaying speech problems i just read that that is false.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:04 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Both of my boys have used one. I was kind of leaning to not using one in the beginning but my 1st was a preemie and they wanted him to get the sucking down. I must add, he had the pacifier first, then a bottle, then finally I could nurse him when he got a little bigger and there was absolutely no nipple confusion. Anyway, his got a hole in it. We were at daycare (I was his teacher) and I didn't have a spare so I told it had to go in the trash and that was the end of it. He was around 20 months old. He was wonderful speech and started speaking early so that wasn't hindered at all. My 2nd son is speaking early as well, he is now 15 months and talks very clearly for his age. As someone else said, read your baby's cues, if they need the soothing I would give it. I really don't see any harm in it.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 10:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2009