my 1 week old has a goopy watery eye problem...any thoughts??

I have a 1 week old and his eyes have been really watery and goopy (eye boogers). It almost seems like allergies or a tear duct problem. His eyes water throughout the day and every time he wakes from a nap his eyes are fully of yellowish goo. Is this something anyone else has encountered. My husband say's it's just because he is a newborn, but I thought it would have gone away by now.

peanutty222

Asked by peanutty222 at 9:04 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you need to gently massage the inside of his eye (where it meets the nose) It is probably a blocked tear duct. Massage that gently and frequently. If it doesn't clear up in a few you might have to get eye drops.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I agree with above, blocked tear duct. My dd's Dr had me rubbing it with a cotton ball soaked in warm water and it seemed to help.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 9:07 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Our ped said it was a blocked tear duct. With my second son his cleared up at about two months. My youngest it was still not cleared up at six months. Our ped gave us an eye ointment and it cleared right up.
    Some hospitals send home the ointment that that use on the baby's eyes after birth, our ped said we could have used that if we were sent home with it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:19 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I agree with ZaTa but I would still mention it to your ped so that if it lasts for a really long time they can prescribe some sort of eye drops.
    Anonymous

• Soundslike a clogged tear duct. My sons eye is the same way... still at 8 months. Have it looked at just incase it's something more... when my son was a newborn he got antibiotics eye drops... now we just massage it and try to keep it clean when it gets goopy.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:39 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• When my daughter was born her one eye was just like that, everyone kept telling me to take her to the doctor, where she had already been, and he saw no problem, just a newborn. Just keep wiping with a clean wash cloth from the side of her eye next to her nose to the other side, and use a diiferent part of the cloth to wipe again.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 12:03 AM on Apr. 4, 2009