My DD is almost 15 months old and takes a binki at what age should I start to take it away

also I made a mistake of giving her a bottle to bed all I put in it is water, but now she wants it and will not I mean WILL NOT go to bed at night without it. How can I take it away from her? Doctor said it was OK as long as she only has water in it for bed. She even told me it was up to me when to take her off the bottle she said she knows of someparents kids still on it at 4. I am sorry I am not having her on a bottle at 4. She doesn't take a bottle during the day only at bedtime and naptimes so also how can I take that away? I never had to break a child from something bc my oldest took herself off at 9 months, but she was also depedent she wanted to do everything early. So Please Help Me!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Let her keep the binky for a while longer. When you are ready, tie the binky to a helium balloon and let it go outside. Tell her the binky is going to baby angels. Worked for a 2 yr old that I had at a daycare. As for the bottles, put all of them in a garbage bag, tie it up and get rid of the bag. Tell her that the garbage man took them. She will cry for a little while but she will get used to it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Take the binkie NOW
    Anonymous

• ok my daughter is 15 months also. i had her binki away from her at 5 months. it was really easy for me on that. now i just took her cup away from her like a week ago. let her stay up past bed time where shes really cranky and lay her in bed without it and let her cry herself to sleep. it sounds mean but itll hopefully work. thats what i did. the second night she cried for a min but was fine. i havent had no problems since. i usually giver her a half of cup before bed. good luck. hope i helped.
    hisfuturewifey

Answer by hisfuturewifey at 9:09 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• This might be for someone a little older- but have her throw all her bottles and binkies in a basket for the baby fairy (or some other mythical being you can come up with) and tell her that the fairy will pick them all up since she is too big for them and that she will in return leave a big girl gift (a little toy, stuffed animal something). Then when she is asleep pitch them all!
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:11 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• She will eventually go to bed without it, she wont stay up forever, it is up to you to just take the darbn thing. And the binky I would start to phase out now, and have it gone in a few weeks.
    Anonymous

• My son was a lil over 2 when we took his binki away. Don't worry about taking it away too much. Evenutally one day, you'll look at her and go "enough" and you'll both be ready for her to give it up. And the bottle thing....take it away, listen to her cry for a bit ,she'll eventually sleep.
    oh and it took like 3 days of crying for a paci for our kid to get over it.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:32 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• OK but should I take both away at once or one at a time
    Anonymous

• Do it whenever you feel like it. Depends on how much crying bothers you. IF you want less crying do both at once, just subsitute something new for comfort,
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:17 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Just take them both away. If she doesn't have a bottle all day long, why does she have one at bedtime? Give her water (if you wish) but give it in a sippy cup (or whatever she uses during the day).

Take the pacifier away if you want her to go without. Just take it. She will scream,cry, fuss and carry on for a couple of nights but then it's done and over with.

Both at once and it will be over quickly. One and then the other will stretch the crying out longer.

Both are a habit now. The longer a habit goes on, the harder it is to break.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:16 AM on Apr. 4, 2009