How would you have reacted?

I have been meaning to post this, but just haven't gotten to it. Last Sun., I went to my friend's baby shower. Since we have been friends, she has moved into the middle of nowhere, country bumpkin hills. Anyway, my other friend picked me and my dd up and we headed to the hills for this party, about an hour into hillbillyville. Which is fine, only I always wonder why in those places that cell phones never work when there is not a payphone in sight.) . . Anyway, so within 7 minutes of us getting there, I see someone light up a cigarette. Yup, a cigarette. This *()&%* was sitting at the table next to me and my INFANT daughter. I thought maybe she didn't notice my baby, so I picked her up and made her presence known. Before I know it, there are 5, YES FIVE, lit cigarettes at that one table!!! My dd was not the only child there, but she was the only infant. Should I have known that cigarettes are cool at baby showers? .

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My MIL and all three of her sisters lit one after the other in my SIL's house during my baby shower. I....there still are no words...how do you respond to ignorance of this kind?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:29 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• CONT. There were 3 pregnant women there, two of them quite obviously preggo, one being the shower girl. All of her baby stuff also now smells like cigarettes. We left as soon as she opened presents and requested that she do it first. We didn't eat or play games. We drove an hour to be driven out of a baby shower by tobacco.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Oh hell no!! Was it outdoors? Who the hell would smoke in the same room KNOWING there was a pregnant women there?
    Anonymous

• Ewww. That shouldn't have been.

Answer by Bmat at 9:21 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Nope, it was in a restaurant which is supposed to be non-smoking. Smoking has been outlawed in restaurants here . . . double whammy! They own the restaurant, so I guess they took advantage of that and had a smoke-a-thon.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Even if it was outdoors or not (im assuming it was outdoors) thats not right to do at a BABY shower where there will be pregnant women and babies. No one wants that stuff clinging to their close and affecting their baby through second and thirdhand smoke. I would have left too! Or asked the people to politely put out their ciggs or smoke away from the party. That sounds quite inconsiderate
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 9:23 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• That is horrible, when someone lights up near my DD I either get away from them as fast as possible or ask them to put it out. I cannot believe some people are so inconsiderate of others, especially children.
    mommyBrooke849

Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 9:23 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Did the women who the baby shower was for mind? If not, id say tough luck... Life's not fair, or so ive been told
    Anonymous

• No adensmommy, it was indoors! I wanted to snap the hell out on these women, but I was out of my element there and knew just my immediate friends that showed up (like 4 of us). My other friends said that they could see the astonishment and anger on my face!! These p.o.s's knew I was mad and continued to smoke. I don't even like smoke around my baby outdoors. Would it have killed them to go outside or wait a WHOLE HOUR?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:25 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Yes, she minded, SHE"S PREGNANT. She just didn't know what to say, because they threw her the shower. I'm disappointed in her too, if it was my shower I would have said "NO WAY!"
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 3, 2009