is it to early for the beach??

My son is 5 months old today tommorrow and I want to take him to the beach !! Is it to early ?? and if I take what do I have to watch for ?? Do i buy son block , especialy for children? Or do I use regular addult one??
Also is it ok fot my son to has his feet in the salt water ? ( Skin ) ??

Ellie.407

Asked by Ellie.407 at 9:37 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• make sure to put son block ALL over him! they have childrens kind one that even goes on purple and then blends into the skin so u dont miss a spot. nothing worse then a baby with a burn there misrable and they hurt so sun block every 45 min and make sure it says water proof and still reaply often. if the water is to cold he will let u know by screaming dont force him just set him down and let him go for it but watch the surf it will knock him down. my son was 6 months by the time i was able to take him now age 3 he loves the beach.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:45 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• We took our son at 6 months. You just have to watch that not too much sand goes in the mouth! He tried and tried to eat it. I asked my ped. about sunscreen at that time and she said the kids coppertone just watch putting it on his hands since they will most likely be in his mouth and wear a hat. We put our son's feet in the water. He loved it. I say, Have fun at the beach!
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:46 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My babe was 8 months when i first took her to the beach, she has very sensitive skin which they have a baby block 4 I'm sure you'll find one in that section of the store. She had a blast tho' sad to say even tasted the sand yuk but i carried her in the water nothing out of the ordinary happened to her skin. Make sure you block his skin real good maybe get an umbrella other than that have fun.
    meli14k

Answer by meli14k at 9:50 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Your son may do just fine. But we took my 1 yr old at the time and he hated it. Hated the sand, the sun, and the water. I hope your son likes it. Good luck and put sun block on him even in the shade. The glare from the water will give him a sunburn also.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2009