Can any one advice me the right way to go with potting training? He is a 2yr. old little boy and the only child. Any one have suggestions? PLEASE HELP!!

Potty traing a 2 yr. old little boy.. Who knows what the potty is but wants to use the diaper. It's like he's scared of the potty or something..

Jamie112009

Asked by Jamie112009 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Dont panic, he is still young. Dont put too much pressure on him or you.

Take a couple of weeks off, then go back to it. Put his favorite stuffed toy on the potty, brag about how teddy is using the potty like a big boy. Give teddy a sticker. lol Make a huge deal over teddy.

Then reintroduce it to him. Give lots of praise and stickers or something.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:02 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• The only thing I did was get an $11 potty chair from wal-mart and ask if he wanted to use it when I went potty. I had it in there, he knew what it was, but had to decide to use it on his own. I couldn't force him to sit on it, because he acted scared of it as well. Then one day, I had to get my DH some new undies and DS said he needed some too and was going to start going in the big boy potty and he has been potty trained since Jan. He will be 3 in July.
    stretchswife

Answer by stretchswife at 10:02 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I started the potty training process wheny my ds was 18 months old. by the time he was 2 and a half he was fully toilet learned.
    try a sticker chart. every time he goes potty he gets to put a sticker on the chart. When the chart is full he gets a prize. Also, try to encourage him to get on the potty every 2 hours. Lastly, dont ask him "do you need to go potty?" or anything like that. just say "it's peepee time. let's go sit on the toilet". ...it might help. try to find books that talk about potty training and read them to him. make up a potty song for while he sits on the toilet waiting to go. MAKE A BIG DEAL OUT OF IT WHEN HE GOES!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:11 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Hi, my son just turned two however he is in a daycare with a few other boys so maybe he has learned from them. Here is one thing I had not heard of and I found WORKS GREAT, once your son is willing, have him sit backwards on the toilet, not the potty, but the toilet, have him facing the back of the toilet with his legs strattled over the sides, his hands either holding the seat cover or the seat, he will naturally be leaning foreard, place some cherrios in the toilet water and ask him to aim for them, in time he will get it and it will be fun, as he gets older turning him around will be a piece of cake, I bought a potty and he hasn't really used it, oh except when he really doesn't have to go and just wants to sit there and read, which is how I started him getting use to the potty by having lots of books there. But the backwards thing works great, sounds weird and yes you want a clean toilet. Backwards helps in aiming too.
    mydreamowen

Answer by mydreamowen at 10:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2009