when can I give my son water?

bottle of plain water

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is no need too, he gets all the hydration he needs from breastmilk or formula.
    Anonymous

• Under 6 months, they don't recommend giving them any water because it will affect their electrolytes and can lower their sodium levels to dangerous levels. Over 6 months, only a couple ounces a day. Over a year is when they can have more water.
    lovepink26

Answer by lovepink26 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I didn't start giving Madison water until she was around 6 months and it was about 2-3 oz everyday. No reason for it really other than she really likes it. She's 8 months now and I still give her about 3-4 oz a day but in her sippy cup to get her to practice using it.
    MarinesSweetie

Answer by MarinesSweetie at 10:57 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My son is 5 months now and I stard giving him water at 4 months. Not too much . about 2-3 ounzes... and also not al in one time... Trough the day.. Especially when it very hot outside. It will not harm the baby just make sure to NOT substitute that for milk or formula.
    Ellie.407

Answer by Ellie.407 at 11:08 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Unless your baby does like water, because some just do, you really should wait until they're 1 year. They really need the fat and nutrients that come from formula, milk & juice. There's no harm in giving a FEW ounces once or twice a day.
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 11:28 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• According to my pediatrician, around 6 months old, it is fine to give babies 3-4 ounces of water per day. It is not really necessary, though. I don't think that two ounces a day would hurt, at any given age. I had to give my son few sips of water in bottle when he was a newborn to help him burp or soothe his stomach. Now, I let him have water in his sippy cup or from a sports water bottle with his snacks. He loves the taste of water. I prefer him to drink water than take in needless empty calories from juice. But until they are one, I would limit their water intake.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 2:28 AM on Apr. 4, 2009