• In the Spotlight:

How long did you wait before going to the hospital in relation to how far away you lived?

I live 40 minutes from the nearest hospital, and some women say that they waited until they were 7 or 8 cm dilated which makes them sound like they lived really close to the hospital. How far away from the hospital do you/did you live and when did you decide to leave for the hospital.

IhrkeGirl

Asked by IhrkeGirl at 10:24 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was 7cm and lived about 20min from the hospital. BUT waiting till I was 7cm was not really by choice, just the way it happened. I don't think you should wait if you truly know your in labour. I think some people wait because they are not sure. You can never tell how soon your baby will come. The first 7cm might take hours but then the last few just mins. Come to think it, my first 7cm took nearly 12hrs and the last 3 took 35min. I think it's safest to go as soon as you feel like you are in labour. jmo
    danni33

Answer by danni33 at 10:29 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Well, I live about 5 minutes from our hospital so I walked around a aquarium store picking out new fish as I was having contractions. Its acutally funny now that I look back. I would stop to bend over and have a contraction and then would go on picking out fish. lol

But we had to leave when my water really started to leak. lol But I guess I could have always explained the wet spots away as fish water on the floor. LOL

When I did get there i was like a 4.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:29 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I waited till I was 3 minutes apart for 2 hours before I went. Still only 3cm but they kept me in anyway because it was only a few hours before the dr wanted to induce me anyway.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:47 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• With my first baby, I was in the hospital 3 times with preterm labor before I could actually have him. So when my contractions started, I went immediately. He was in such a hurry the weeks before to get out, I wasn't taking any chances! I was already a 3 from all my previous trips to the hospital, too. Besides, lots of women (myself included) get concerned with the whole scenario of having the baby in the car on the way, especially with first babies. LOL. So we go to hospital really early!
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 10:47 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I had contractions every four minutes all day, and went to the hospital to check. They sent me home. (25 miles away) I went home crying because it hurt so bad. At 7 am I woke up in severe pain, and decide to go back. I was dialated to a 5 , got an epidural. My water broke at noon, I was dialated to a ten at 3 the doctor got there at 4. At 4:13 I was holding my baby boy. I say go when you bosy tells you to. Because if I would have waited any longer, the pain would have taken over. If you plan on getting an epidural, I wouldn't wait forever because it could be too late.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 11:39 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I'm still pregnant and I'm a first-time mom so I can't say exactly when I went but I live about 5-15 minutes away from my hospital (depending on traffic). What I plan to do is call when I have my fifth contraction and ask when to come in, or call once my water breaks (if it breaks before contractions) and ask when to come in. I'm not fully sure, but they should tell you to come in when they're about 2-3 minutes apart for an hour or more. (<--Read that part online.)

If you're at home, how would you know how many CM you're dilated? I'd go by contraction time if I were you...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:54 AM on Apr. 4, 2009