How can I get my 3 year old to stop drinking milk in the middle of the night?

Does anyone know how I can get my 3 year old to stop drinking milk through out the night? He sleeps in his own bed, but its in our room next to mine. We only have a 2 bedroom condo and I can not put him and our baby in the same room. He wakes us up all night asking for his milk so I dont ever get a full night sleep.

Iworkfromhome72

Asked by Iworkfromhome72 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe you could try just telling him "no go back to bed"?
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 11:04 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Give him water. He will find that less appealing and eventually don't give him anything. He will not dehydrate over night.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:04 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Stop giving it to him when he asks. Explain to him that big boys can wait until morning for their milk. You may have a few rough nights, but he would eventually stop asking.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:04 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I agree...try water and he will hopefully lose interest in it and stay asleep.
    gavinsmoma

Answer by gavinsmoma at 11:19 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Flatly tell him no more milk. Give him a sippy cup of water at bedtime and tell him that's it until morning.
    If you have second thoughts when he throws a tantrum at 3am, remember the harm you are doing to his teeth and the harm you are doing if you teach him that tantrums work.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:48 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• i would not give him ne milk cause it sits on the teeth all night and causes tooth decay i would tell him to go to bed and waite or give him water
    mom_of_crazytot

Answer by mom_of_crazytot at 1:16 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I'd just tell him "no more". Is he potty training yet? If he is and gets up to go, it's obviously not a problem. But if he's not fully trained yet, it's going to be a bit harder at night if he's drinking all night unless you teach him that if he wakes for a drink, he wakes for potty, too. (not to mention what it could be doing to his teeth as mentioned by others)

Stick to your guns, tell him"no", send him back to bed and it will all be over in a couple of nights.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:00 AM on Apr. 4, 2009