Do you consider your child "Grown" when he or she turns 18?

I had an argument about this with my brother-in-law. He said" Your son who is about to turn 18 in Oct will be grown. I told him he will never be older then me; I am still the parent

Yellowrose9

Asked by Yellowrose9 at 11:07 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• If it's your house, it's your rules, THAT simple. Yes, he is "grown" but if he's in YOUR house then thats too bad for him. What you say goes. No matter what. If he doesnt like it he can attempt to move out, THEN see how hard it is to "make his own decisions" =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 11:18 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I agree with you! I know I needed my mom's guidance through college years as much, if not more, than when I was in high school. Heck, I'm 39 and I still need her!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:12 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• He is then an adult, and yes I would consider that grown and able to make his own decisions because technically you have no power over what he does then.... UNLESS he is living in your home and you are still supporting him.
    Anonymous

• you are right on this one.... just because they turn 18.... doesn't make them 18 in their thinking...they still need direction.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 11:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• LOL! They never grow up!!! You will all soon find that out! (Evil laugh)
    Anonymous

• They may be "grown" by legal standards but I don't think most 18 year olds are ready to make adult decisions. They still need us parents- FOREVER! ;)
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:45 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• NO YOUR CHILD IS NOT GROWN AT 18 THEY WILL NEVER BE GROWN IN MY BOOK THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOMETHING OR SOMEONE THAT THEY WANT TO TALK TO MOM ABOUT IT DONT MATTER HOW OLD THEY ARE
    brianna77

Answer by brianna77 at 9:09 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• You may not like but your brother in law is correct. At 18 they dont need MOMMY/DADDYs permission . It's not required.

I have a soon to be 18 year old. He has plans to get a tatoo, go to the casino, register to vote, register for selected service. I am not too happy with the tatoo idea, but he is old enough by law to do it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Well, no hes not grown, but the relationship changes. You arent "master" anymore, but now your the "guide". Thats a much better position to be in. YOu get to guide him as HE makes the decisions.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:45 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I consider them grown well before 18... By that time they are going to do what they want anyway, the relationship changes once they realise that they are seperate people and they have the right to live seperately from your rule... At 18, they are legal adults and have the right to rid you from their life, therefore you have to start watching what you do, or they will...

My big mistake was letting my family back in my life...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Apr. 4, 2009