Would I love one child more than the other because I formula fed one and breastfed the other?? PLEASE NO BASHING this is a serious question

I want to breastfeed my next child so bad, but because I wasnt able to with my first because he had severe acid reflux and had to have cereal in a bottle, meds and all that fun stuff I wasn't able to. What my question is, is that I have this HUGE fear that because I want to breastfeed the next one I'm afraid that I will have more of a bond with that child because of that ( I know that might not make clear sense) Its just I don't want to ever feel different toward my kids. So would me doing that change anything???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• No it won't. You have enough love for all the children you can have. I have the same bond with my formula fed son as I do with my breastfed son. No difference at all!

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:12 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• No Hon. I did the same thing. Nothing different between my two. In fact, they both have the same amount of allergies and sickness.. of course they are now adults and we like to laugh about all this BF BS!! LOL!!! Anyway, No.. my kids are both perfectly well adjusted adults. The formula one is not a psychotic killer... that I know of at least!!
    Anonymous

• No, it won't make a difference. You should breastfeed this one if you can!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I agree. Try and breastfeed!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 11:19 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• First, acid reflux is a troublesome problem, but your doctor should not have told you to wean because of it. It's hard, but the benefits of breast feeding far outweigh the risks of a baby being refluxy for a few months, plus there are meds to help. Here is a good article about spitting up, reflux, the difference and the benefits of breastfeeding even in the baby with reflux. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

Second, breastfeeding DOES create a closer bond to your child, but you will not love him or her more than your first. You will be more in tune to them, you will feel closer to them, but you won't love your first child less.

Good luck, and if you need any help with nursing, let me know! I will be happy to help!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:20 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Nope. Because feeding ain't bonding. "Bonding" is merely BEING THERE. That's it.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:52 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• No it won't make a difference. I formula fed my 2 older boys, and BF'd my daughter and I don't love either of my children more than the others.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:21 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I breastfed my first two and thisone only at night, i actually dont feal as bonded, but hes only 2 months..and im completely overwhelmed with um all so that definetly plays into it. i havent had time to grow to love him yet, in time that comes. breastfeeding is a huge ..huge commmitment one some people dont understand... ecspecially if you have other kids breastfeeding becomes more complicated.. like if you go places out in public..its impossible to like breastfeed and tend to the others.. i mean come on its not like your going to walk around chucky cheese with a baby attached to your tit. anyways yeah so i bottle feed, formula, all day cept sometimes when im at home and just having down time, like if my 17 month old is sleeping, and then i just breastfeed at night, for nighttime wakings.. anyways good luck. you know whats best, youll figure it out.
    LifeIsSweetKW

Answer by LifeIsSweetKW at 1:27 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Ah well I had it easy with my daughter as far as the nursing in public went. We lived in Spain and it was the norm to nurse in public there (of course I covered up). In fact they encourage it. I love the way society is over there! But yes, nursing here can sometimes get irritating as people are wanting you to go to a bathroom to nurse (yuck), and God forbid you accidentally show a little flesh while situating your child even in a place where BF'ing is supposedly okay. Not saying you shouldn't do it, its great nutritionally for your baby, I just wouldn't be concerned about loving one child more than the other.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:41 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• It won't make a lick of difference! How a baby is fed has nothing to do with the love a mother has for that child!

The love will be the same and the "bond" will be different because it's a different kid, no other reason. No matter what, those are you kids. Period. End of discussion.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:11 AM on Apr. 4, 2009