Preacher supposed to be the man of one wife?

OK ladies I want to know the scripture to look up on this I am confused. Also need the scripture on what it says about divorce.

When you get divorced you are no longer husband and wife so if you remarry, you are still the husband of one wife, right? No bashing heard so many different things I want the scriptures so I can read for myself and form my own belief based on that. Feel free to voice your opinion but please no bashing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Thanks for the opinions ladies but I really want the scriptures so I know for myself.
    Anonymous

• I don't know where exactly but the Scripture teachs us not to divorce unless your partner has cheated.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 11:34 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• you are always married unless a partner commits adultry numerous times. I like to think that God doesn't want you to be unhappy or in an abusive realationship. At some point I think God would want you to leave the marrige if it was on those terms he loves us and wants us to be happy
    Anonymous

• I like to think that God doesn't want you to be unhappy or in an abusive realationship. At some point I think God would want you to leave the marrige if it was on those terms he loves us and wants us to be happy

But that's not what God said...he didn't say 'stay married except in cases of adultery' with a little footnote that said *well, and, um...unless you're really unhappy...in that case, go ahead and divorce. He said...'no divorce! unless one of you commits adultery!' Of course, since Christians now lead the country in divorce rates they have thrown this whole 'well, I don't believe God wants us to be unhappy' caveat into the whole system to justify their inability to stay married and follow their own tenets while denying the same right to others.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 11:41 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• 1 Corinthians chapter 7 discusses ths topic and mentions divorce several times. Verse 11, 13, 27. I'll be looking for more.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 12:45 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Matthew 19:8--- I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another women, commits adultery.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 12:48 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Matt. 5:31-32 - the Lord permits divorce only for "porneia." This Greek word generally means unlawful sexual intercourse due to either blood relations (also called incest) or nonsacramental unions. The Lord does not permit divorce for "moicheia" (adultery). It is also important to note that in these cases, a marriage never existed in the first place, so the Lord is not actually permitting divorce, but a dissolution of the unlawful union.

So while a divorce may end a marriage in the legal sense - it doesn't end a marriage according to God. We can recognize that a valid marriage didn't occur - but we humans cannot end a valid marriage. The bible is quite clear on this "Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate." (Mark 10:9)

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:21 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• About Matt. 19:8 which says a man can 'put away' his wife for 'fornication'. Now what is fornication? It is having sexual relations outside of marriage. If a married person has sex with someone other than their spouse - that's adultry not fornication. Someone who is married cannot commit 'fornication'. The only way that can be done is if that person is not really married. So what Jesus is referring to is a sham marriage: The man and woman appear to others to be married to one another, but they are not. (Nowadays this is called "living together."). In such a situation the man may "divorce" his "wife" because she is not really a wife at all.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:26 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• 1 Cor. 7:12-15 - speaks of how if two unbaptized people marry, and afterwards one of the people is baptized. If the unbaptized person decides to leave the marriage, the Christian is free to remarry. This is because the union between two unbaptized people is not sacramental - more just legal.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:29 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Matt. 19:9; Mark 10:11-12; Luke 16:18 - Jesus says that whoever divorces and remarries another commits adultery.

Rom. 7:2-3 - again, Paul reiterates Jesus' teaching that sacramental marriage followed by a divorce and remarriage is adultery.

1 Cor. 7:10-11 - once again, Paul gives Christ's teaching that married couples cannot divorce and remarry. This violates God's divine plan for the husband and wife.

Eph. 5:22-32 - Paul says that the sacramental union of husband and wife is the image of Christ and the Church. Just as Christ the Bridegroom and His Bride the Church are inseparable, so are a husband and wife also inseparable. A civil divorce cannot dissolve a sacramental marriage (between two baptized people).
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:31 AM on Apr. 4, 2009