Do you find it extremly imposing to charge a %17 tip to your bill?

My husband and I ate at the Rainforest cafe a few nights ago. We were prepared to leave a nice tip when we got our check and for three of us there was a 17 percent tip added to our check. Not that we aren't good tippers, but what makes you think you deserve %17 percent!! Holy cow! In all the 13 years of customer service I was taught that you should be grateful for any tip, not entitled to it. It is a reward or a thank you for good service, not a fee. I won't be going there again...

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 11:38 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I've heard of gratuity being added for parties of 8 or more but not 3! And it is always listed in the menu and when I served I made sure my big tables knew that.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 11:40 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I can understand for really large parties adding a gratuity fee. Like, 15 or more people, but for 3? That's freakin' rediculous. I wouldn't go there again either.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I thought they only did that for large groups not for 3 people. That wasn't cool .
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 11:41 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• But even if it was a party of five or something, isn't %17 a lot to expect, I always thought it was like 12 or 15? I waited tables for many years...maybe things have changed..I dunno
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Some places add it all the time. 17% isn't a good tip though. . .

I did have someone tell me that people stopped tipping servers because of the economy, maybe this is in reaction to that?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:44 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• oh no, 18% is average now. and a lot of places actually PENALIZE servers if their credit card tips average less than that. You get a smaller section in a harder to seat portion of the restaurant. My job expects no less than 19.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:47 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• As a stylist I sometimes work on the same person for eight hours and never do I expect any type of tip. Yes I get them, sometimes they are big, sometimes it's just a little. It's nice to get but I'd rather have the client than the tip because they keep the shop from going under. I really don't rate what's a
    good tip and what isn't. The customer makes my paycheck whether they tip or not. If there are no customers there are no tips.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I usually leave a good tip if the server is good. But I do think 17% should not be imposed.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 11:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I def. see your point, in our case it's not the server judging, it's the establishment itself. (usually chains). I keep a level head regardless, but sometimes it's like, aww, man, Couldn't they have paid cash? Cause I know it it'll bring my numbers down. (not because I didn't give good service, all these years in the biz)

Servers aren't even servers anymore. They're salespeople, responsible for the entire sales destiny of the business. It's not as bad as being an auto sales man, yet, but it's sure getting there.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I used to be a server and I personally accepted any kind of tip.
    Some people though expect a top dollar tip every table they have and complain if they don't get it. However I think lovinangels has a point the economy is causing all kinds of trouble right now, but I say if you are going out to eat and you don't have enough money to tip, then you shouldn't be eating out. Not saying that you don't Steff because I think what was done to you was wrong, I am just saying that about those people who don't tip because they don't have enough money to.
    Ok I am going to stop talking now and get the foot out of my mouth.
    Bye
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 11:55 PM on Apr. 3, 2009