94.9 underarm temp?!

What in the world!! My son is 16 months old. He got a fever out of the blue today and he felt really hot so I gave him tylenol about 3 hours ago to treat it. He is asleep now and we are finally home so I took his temp under his arm. It read 94.9!! What in the world?! He still feels kind of warm though. I don't have another working thermometer, so what should I do? Is he okay?

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:40 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Underarm temps aren't very accurate. They can have cold pockets under there. I would take it in the other one too if you think it's not right (as in he's still warm) or just assume there is no fever. If it still seems very often (he has fever but it is showing low) then do a rectal temp.
    Normal underarm temp would be around 96-98.9 and over 100.5 would be a fever
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:13 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• When you take the temp under the arm you are supposed to add a degree to it so his temp. is actually 95.9.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• well if u took it under his arm u need to add two degrees to it which would make it 96.9 which is about right.. he will be ok, if he still has temp in the am call his pedi and see if she or he wants to see the baby
    Pooky_mommy

Answer by Pooky_mommy at 12:17 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Under arm is really unreliable. and can be off by up to 2 degrees even after adjusted. And I would advise you to do some research on fevers. Just google fevers and read on them. Your fighting your sons immune system every time you lower it and making it easier for viral and bactirial infections to spread. Also, tylonal is not 100% safe. I have kidney damage due to prolong used (doctor supervised) of ibprophen from when I was a teen. Tylonal can cause stomach problems, and liver issues. A fever... is harmless... unless it gets above 107.4...
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:57 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• under the arm is +2 degrees so ya hes fine.
    also, everyone has a diffrent "normal" as a temp so that could be normal for him.
    dita

Answer by dita at 1:58 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Underarm is very unreliable and can be off by as much as 2 or 3 degrees. Rule of tumb is to add a degree. My dd ususally reads 94 degress underarm, so I just stopped taking it that way. I do rectal if she's really hot and by touch otherwise. We did under the tongue at the doc and it worked well.

wait? Did you say a fever is harmless unless above 107.4? I really hope that's a typo! 100.4 is considered normal. And then it depends on how the child is behaving. I think at 107, a child would be in serious danger and probably having feberal seizures - which can occur with temperatures over 102.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I'm sorry. But if my child is running a fever, hes getting tylenol. It's not like I give it to him all the time or anything, only when he needs it. And he needed it. He was so warm he was actually red! I was out and about and didn't have a thermometer on me, but you could tell he was burning up just by touch. I'm not going to wait until it's 107! That's crazy! My child would be having seizures by then! But thanks everyone for your help. He is awake and feeling great this morning! He's autistic and something gets a fever out of the blue for no apparent reason. It's so strange.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:15 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I would ask the doctor one girl said to add one degree another said 2 degrees and my doctor told me you don't add nothing to it under the arm so your best bet is to ask your doctor
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:15 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

Look it up your self. And ferberal seizures are not caused by how high the fever is, but when it drops or rises too quickly. Although, yes, if your child is up to 107, that is a big issue because the body has a thermostat that is supposed to kick in and lower the temp at around 105... but brain damage does not occur till around 107
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:17 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I'm closing this question before drama starts. Thanks for your help ladies! It turns out my thermometer was not working right!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:34 AM on Apr. 5, 2009