How do I get her to take a pacifier?

My two week old is exclusively breastfed. It seems like a lot of the time that she feeds, it's more for comfort (like she's ate 30 minutes ago and the only thing that will make her stop crying is to put her on a boob, even if it's the one she just drained). The problem is she hasn't figured out the non-nutritive sucking yet and so she eats too much and then spits it all back up. I've been trying to get her to take a pacifier, but she just spits it back out. How do I get her to take the pacifier?

doubleyouteeeff

Asked by doubleyouteeeff at 11:41 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What you're doing is all you can do. Some babies take pacifiers, some don't.

She may be spitting up due to overactive letdown, or a reaction to something you're eating.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:44 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• what kind of pacifier are you trying to get her to use. I went through every single one out there and my son finally took the soothie kind yes I had to hold it in his mouth but it helped with that issue of just wanting to suck not really wanting to eat.. Now he's off those and on a different kind I can't thing of there name but you might try those. Cause I'm telling you I tried them all and finally he liked that one.. He was a picky lil guy lol
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Some babies won't take one at all. My daughter wouldn't. In the breastfed baby it's probably best anyway. It will help delay your fertility longer and it will avoid nipple confusion, and, as a happy bonus, it will help her jaw develop properly and keep you from having to take it from her later.

Are you ending the nursing sessions or is she? Let her end the nursing sessions and if she wants to nurse again 15 minutes later, put her on the already empty breast to avoid the over eating. She will outgrow this pretty quickly, don't worry. I know it's hard for now, but give it time. Is it possible that you have oversupply and she's not getting enough hind milk? Are her stools greenish and are you always engorged with a forceful let down? PM me and let me know! Don't just assume you have oversupply, though, either.

Hope it gets better soon, mama!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• my sister used to give her finger(pinky, if i speled it right)
    DaryaK

Answer by DaryaK at 12:07 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Non of my kids took pacifiers. Perhaps there is a reason for the crying? Gas... insecurity... you said 2 weeks. Have you tried swaddling really snugg, then rocking and sushing? Or better yet, this worked on all my kids and its worked for everyone I know. Swaddle, put her in a swing, then turn on the vaccum. My husband would do that with our 4th and after a while, he would fall asleep any time the vacume turned on.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:31 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My guy wouldn't take a pacifier either, he'd just mouth it a bit and then spit it out, now that he's teething he'll hold on to it and chew it a bit.

When you choose a pacifier you're supposed to pick one that is closest in size and shape of your own nipple, I didn't know this when we were trying to introduce one, and I laugh now when I look at them, cause they were probably way to big and weirdly shaped to appeal to him.
    wadesmum

Answer by wadesmum at 10:54 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• my daughter was only breast fed no bottles nothing!!! it was really hard at times but if she doesnt want to take a pacifier dont give it to her, i see 3 year olds sucking on those things and its just silly, try giving them a lovey for comfort instead. its not a bad thing that she doesnt want it, and then it will save you from trying to break a habit later on down the road
    emleejane

Answer by emleejane at 11:18 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• my daughter also had colic until she 3 and a half months so if you think she might have that then look into getting some answers about that.
    emleejane

Answer by emleejane at 11:20 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Try the "Soothie" Pacifier, it's the only one I could get my daugher to take. I like the WubbaNub pacifier, because it comes with a Soothie that's attached to a little animal. It makes keeping track of the pacifer much easier too.
    They have also come out with Soothie bottles too now, so if you pump, you can use that bottle.
    lilmommy0416

Answer by lilmommy0416 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I had to use trial and error to find one my baby liked. We bought one of every kind at the store and he would only take one brand. Even with that one we have to keep it in his mouth until he takes it. He reacts at first with disgust and will squirm around trying to get it out but then he will take it. Sometimes he won't take it at all but then later will be so upset and the second you place it in his mouth he goes to town.
    All babies are different. It may take a long time to find out exactly what your baby wants. If she takes the pacifier, great! hahaha. It will really relieve your nipples.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 6:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2009