• In the Spotlight:

How common...

is it to have a VBAC after a C-section?

I'm not pregnant but I did have an emergency C-section 8 months ago and I've been wondering about that. I know you should wait at least a year to conceive again (18-23 months I read somewhere), and my hubby and I are planning to do just that, but I'm hoping the 2nd time around -if all goes well- we could do VBAC. My dr opposes doing so and says no doctor in their right mind would let their patient have a VBAC after a CSection but I dont know if I believe her.

Any experiences?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I've never done it but i just checked out a few sites for you that said the risks are very low if you decide to have a VBAC.They all said it is your choice unless something happens for them to have to do a repeat c-section. If you google vaginal birth after c-section? it will bring up all the sites i found. Good luck.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 12:12 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• The risks are extremely low. The reason that doctors don't want you to is simple. If something goes wrong during a vaginal birth, especially a VBAC, it's pretty easy for you to sue them. If something goes wrong during a c-section, they're protected by that nice little consent form and waiver they make you sign beforehand. Doctors won't do VBAC's to protect their own butts. But it's actually, in almost all cases, safer for both you and your baby.

To make it as safe as possible, you want at least 2 years between deliveries. So 15-16 months postpartum before you get pregnant again. Oh, and you shouldn't be induced, that makes your risks way higher.

I'm having a VBA2C (after 2 c-sections) in August. And I actually have a doctor who thinks that's great. But I'm Canadian. From what I hear, Americans in some areas pretty much have to have a homebirth in order to VBAC.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:58 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Thank you both. And congrats on your upcoming delivery, tyrelsmom!

I already know that I'm more thank likely going to have to find a different doctor if I want to take the VBA2C route. Of course if there were any risks at all I would not doing it, but if everything was to go well then I know that's something I'd really like to do. I did a lot of research these last couple of days and I found a lot of useful info that I'd like to go over with my doctor when the time is right for hubby and I to start TTC for our #2. We'll take it from there then.

Thanks again!
    MarinesSweetie

Answer by MarinesSweetie at 12:25 AM on Apr. 6, 2009