What is a good age to start teaching baby sign language?

I hear that babies are able to communicate their needs thru sign sooner than they can thru language. I want to try this out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Check into a local community class, community college or local college for ASL classes. If you plan to continue with this language, there are nuances once you're signing sentences as with any other foreign language. Either way, the vocabulary building is great!!

I also like this site:
    http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm

They have videos posted for the words!

Check out Signing Time videos. Most libraries have them and if you wish, they can be purchased from Ebay or their own website.

Good luck!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:53 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Yes, that is true. You should start doing it from birth. Just learn the signs for the words you say most to your baby and use the sign as you say the word. It is amazing how much they will learn that way!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 12:02 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• you can start anytime. You can use signs for mommy and daddy, eat, all done, more...etc. my son is almost 9 months and he just signed and said "all done" a couple days ago.
    jenn714

Answer by jenn714 at 12:02 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• The book "baby signs" teaches you all about this kind of stuff.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 12:03 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I strongly suggest teaching ASL!!! We started using it at birth, but you can do it any time. They will recognize the signs before they use them.

Pick the signs you with which you want to start. We started with "milk", "eat/food" and "all done/finish" You can choose what signs you feel are most important for your family. Model, model, model. Every time you SAY the sign, show the sign. The two go hand in hand. Some people chose to do a few at a time...others do more of an immersion, it depends on your comfort level with signing.

I will suggest sticking with ASL instead of an ASL "based" system. They are NOT the same! I know one system taught here in my area teaches the sign for "brown" an "easier way for the baby". The problem is that their Baby Sign for "brown" means...um...let's just say "female dog" in ASL. Not something I'd want my boys doing in public!

cont because I'm almost out of stupid characters
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:50 AM on Apr. 4, 2009