Why do politicians need to be paid so much?

They get more then I think they deserve. I know it is a stressful job, but so is being a teacher or cop, but do they get paid that well?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 11:59 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I dont know, I feel like the huge payouts is what makes them so crooked. They lie, cheat and steal to be able to do anything to stay where they are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Many make less than 200k a year. I don't think they are over paid at all. I do have a problem with their pay continuing after they leave office and their pension.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I think they should be given the average salary of the American people, and not one red cent more. Many are independantly wealthy and that's fine, but come on! If they are getting paid what WE are getting paid, they might understand a little better the needs of the average American family, instead of handing out incredible amounts of money and not understanding when some of us say "WE DON'T WANT SOCIALIZED MEDICINE!"
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:07 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I am mixed about whether or not I think they get paid too much, but I do know one thing for sure-- I would not want their job!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 12:08 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I don't begrudge the salary. I do think the pension is insane. I also think there should be heavy limits on "perks". No season ball game tickets and such. "Gifts" should be limited to a value of $20.00 and a cap put on the amount you can get each year.

National lawmakers must maintain 2 homes, 1 in their home state and 1 in DC. DC is VERY expensive. We don't want only the independently wealthy able to bear the cost of serving.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:19 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Sounds like it's time to build the congressional dorm. They get to live in the same conditions as the average university student while at school (with private rooms, at least). They get the same meal plan, too. They can maintain their "home" home and have no excuse not to work while in Washington because there's nothing distracting them at "away" home.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:30 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Sounds like a plan NotPanicking!

Personally, with all the new technology these days, I don't see why they need to be in DC at all. My husband has "meetings" across the country all the time, all without leaving his regular office. They could work from their office in their home state. It would be really convenient and I am sure the constituents would love it!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:38 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• NP, love the plan!

LOVE IT- we really should get rid of the right to give themselves raises, too.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:46 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• They don't NEED or deserve to be paid so much. Really they are just greedy f***ing bastards, but it's redundant to say that, politician sums it up already.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Why do they need to be paid so much?

Simply because they think they are worth it. And because not enough citizens make an issue about them giving themselves raises.

I like NP's plan though.  I think we should rally behind legislation of that kind.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:26 AM on Apr. 4, 2009