A question about Autism

I am watching Jenny McCarthy on Lary King Live and as most know her son is autistic. BUT, she says her son is cured from autism and he is like any other "normal" child. I use the word "normal" for a lack of better words- please excuse me.
My question is- Do you believe that children with autism can be cured? Or do you think her child has something else going on? I do NOT know a lot about autism and I am NOT educated on autism. So please do NOT think I am being in-sensitive here. I honestly don't know. But I have seen autistic children and I know there's different levels of autism. But do they truely get "cured"? I've always wondered about this everytime I see her on TV. I know she is a voice for autism and does wonderful things and I am NOT judging her at all !! But is it false hope for parents who have autistic children?
Just curious of what others think.

BrendaMomOf3

Asked by BrendaMomOf3 at 12:38 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Health

• There is no "cure".

They can be helped with therapy and depending on how an INDIVIDUAL child responds to therapy, and how they develop, they can become able to cope with their issues, they can function very well in society and lead productive lives.

There are also many levels to autism.

But...no. There is no cure. A diagnosis can change over the years with a child's development...but they will always be autistic.

If there was a cure, it would be announced world wide by every doctor, specialist and therapist there is. Not by one lone person from Hollywood.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:29 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• that kid is NOT cured you can still tell he has the signs of autism. a better word would be under control. just like a person with diabetes. my brother has autism and hes pretty much just like a normal kid now but hes not cured hes in therapy. saying she cured her son is giving parents who have autistic kids a false hope and is probably upsetting because she has money at her disposal unlike the average american
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 12:40 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I don't think that kids with autism can be "cured". They can be treated/in therapy and learn to act like "normal" kids/adults, but they are not cured. I think that Jenny McCarthy should not be able to go around making claims like that. She's really setting up false hopes for a lot of parents and giving them false information. I think it's great that she has increased awareness of autism, but she's doing as much damage as she is good.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:22 AM on Apr. 4, 2009