Potty training a 2yr old boy...

I'm clueless when it comes to this... my son turned 2 on st. patricks day and we bought him a potty.

but i can't even get him to sit on it... I can say, let's go to the potty and he will say "potty" and follow me in, but he wont get on or nothing, he just wants to play with it..

He will tell me "pee" or "poop" AFTER he did it in his diaper....

any suggestions or advice PLEASE!!

How do you do it??

JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Asked by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:41 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Being aware that he HAS gone is a step in the right direction but realizing that he HAS to go is something else. So have hope, he's getting there. To us, the feelings are so connected in our minds - I have to go, I am going, oops... I went - that we forget that they are seperate to toddlers. As a help, let him run around without pants as it gets warmer. Seeing the pee may help him connect the feelings.

Not wanting to sit on the potty is common. Short of forcing him to sit there (which will ruin your training for months) all you can do is keep suggesting he sit there when YOU go. One day he will be willing to sit there and you can start. Mine wasn't willing to do so until 27 months.

Good luck, have patience. He'll get there. As an older mom told me - he won't get married in diapers!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:22 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• i don't know, I think he's too young.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:03 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Mine is going to be three in June and I'm worried he will never get it. He even requests diapers when he doesn't have one on. He has a younger bro and i think it makes it harder to go forward when bro gets to pee and poo in diapie.
    2boysworkingmon

Answer by 2boysworkingmon at 2:57 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• thanks kaycee...

sorry i disagree jean, the fact he ackno. when he has went is a sign to me... also i would prefer he not be in diapers by the time he is 3...

if he can say "mommy i pee'd" i think its time...

thanks for your input tho ♥
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:04 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• After raising four girls, one grandchild (4 year old boy) and being a nanny for over 28 years , I have come to know boys train at three years old and not before. Before that you can talk about it, introduce it to them, work on it, but they won't be 'done' until the age of three.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 8:57 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Maybe have him sit on the potty as you fill the bathtub with water. Take clothes off and give him a favorite book to sit and look at. Use it more as a place to sit and read than a place to potty. Chances are that while sitting, hearing the water and having no clothes on, he may pee. If he does go then give him alot of excited praise and tell him what he did.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 11:54 AM on Apr. 4, 2009