does weight really have alot to do with secondary infertility?

I have a 6 yr old and have been ttc for about 4 yrs now. my doctor i might not be ovulating to try loosing weight and i would start ovulating again i am 5'4 and 190 lbs i don't look that much overweight even though i'm considered obese. Has anyone been told this and has loosing the weight worked?

mommyttc

Asked by mommyttc at 1:03 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I was actually told that by my doctor-- and I was a size 4. The theory, I believe, is that extra fat produces estrogen, which can throw the balance of hormones off. However, considering that plenty of overweight and obese women seem to get pregnant just fine, it doesn't seem like it's the only reason for secondary infertility.

If you don't think you're ovulating predictably, try getting an ovulation predictor kit-- I got the Clearblue Easy Monitor. It's costly-- mine was about $200, but you'll get a good indicator of when you are and aren't. Once you know whether you're ovulating or not, then you can take the next step, which might be clomid, or perhaps a battery of blood tests to find out whether your hormones are within normal limits.

Considering you've been trying for 4 years, I'm surprised your doctor hasn't already taken your FSH levels yet-- they're your best indicator for present fertility.

Good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 3:05 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Yes, it can be. I would like one more child in a couple years. My plan is to get down about 30lbs to help make everything easier. Not only getting pregnant (took 1.5yrs and 5 IVF attempts the first time), but also to help the pregnancy go better. I ended up with pre-eclampsia. My body just couldn't handle all that extra weight (carried twins and went from around 190 to 235 toward the end). It would have been so much easier to get around if I were lighter.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:26 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• It's not the only cause, but it's definitely one possibility. I was a little overweight when I was undergoing fertility treatments and I asked my doctor about it. She told me that since I wasn't to the obese catagory it was not likely much of my problem, but she also said that losing just 5% of your body weight (only 9 or 10 pounds for you) can improve your fertility and general health. I also have to say that what halfpint said about it making the pregnancy harder is so true; I was at my ideal weight before my first pregnacy and it was a whole lot easier. Granted I was a lot older and expecting twins the next time, but I am certain the extra weight also contributed to my discomfort.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:05 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Ok Im 5'5 and weigh 230 so if your over weight then Im HUGE!! Im well proportioned and Im sure people would be a little shocked that I way that much but Im very big boned you could say.lol but honestly my doctor told me that even if you loose 3% body fat then this will increase your chances allot.However Im not trying to slim down a whole bunch because Im just going to get even bigger when I'm pregnant.My husband and I have been ttc for 9 months now and so we went to my OBGYN the same lady who delivered our son and she autimatically test me for PCOS and thats what I had.So therefor I didnt need to go through all theese other methods to try and get pregnant. She quickly put me on Provera to make me have a period and now I just finished my first round of Clomid (fertility drug) and hope that were pregnant soon!You have to find the right doctor cause I hate that some of them beet and the bush forever and then your 40 having baby.
    Anonymous

• yeh it would make sense ..your blood flows better when your fit .. also when you get skinnier you get more confidence and feel sexy ..and your guy will too he'll be more attracted to you ... the easiest way .. and im not kidding you is to get prescribed to adderal .. it stops your appetite and i was around 120 lbs and then a week or two i was 103 lbs.... i have reallllllllly bad ADD..idk if you do..but i started taking it again becuase i used to be precibed to it when i was a kid ...but i took it for like 3 months then my hubby came home from his deployment and we did it everyday and i got prego ..
    Anonymous

• At 5'4" and 190 lbs... I really doubt that your weight has a thing to do with secondary infertility...don't let yourself think that.
    susanna71

Answer by susanna71 at 10:12 AM on Apr. 5, 2009