Potty training a 2yr old boy...(serious ?)

I'm clueless when it comes to this... my son turned 2 on st. patricks day and we bought him a potty.

but i can't even get him to sit on it... I can say, let's go to the potty and he will say "potty" and follow me in, but he wont get on or nothing, he just wants to play with it..

He will tell me "pee" or "poop" AFTER he did it in his diaper....

any suggestions or advice PLEASE!!

How do you do it??

JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Asked by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:03 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I know this will sound gross, but letting him watch you or your husband go to the bathroom will help him know what to do in there. My son who is seven now learned that way, he was watching his dad pee one day and he pulled down his pants stood on his tippytoes and went pee too. I think he was about three though.

Setting up potty times will help also, like after he wakes up in the morning or after naps. After meals, before you leave the house and before he goes to bed at night. Until you get him potty trained you will live in the bathroom.
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 1:11 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I have heard that boys are harder to potty train then girls. I don't think pull ups are a good idea. Put underwear on him, it will be messy at first but he will be more apt to go to the potty
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:13 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• yea viola.. i let him be in there with me when i pee... he likes to throw toilet paper in the toliet, then he waves bye to it (lol.. i didnt want him to be scared of it so i started this).... i tell my husband to let him watch him pee but 90% of the time my hubs is gone to work b4 baby gets up and doesn't get back till he is in bed...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:15 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• When I first introduced the potty seat to my son I just set it up and left it for a few days. He checked it out at his own pace and played with it (it talks when you flush the pretend handle). Once he had checked it all out and he seemed interested I started putting him on it a couple times a day. And I agree with the previous poster, having him see you or daddy use the potty may help to give him the idea of what he's supposed ot do on the potty. Good luck! And remember, you'll get there eventually, but it will be at your child's pace!
    Abilyn

Answer by Abilyn at 1:15 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I used the ebook "Potty Training in Just 3 days". PM me if you'd like a copy.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 1:18 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I do not envy you in the least!! it took FOREVER to potty train my son(thank God at 25 he now is!!)
    I cannot tell you how many "I not pee my pants no more, 'k?" I heard potty training him 25 yrs ago we didn't have pullups we had training pants only. Have his daddy or a male figure show him how boys potty, take him potty every 15-20 mins, read him books, give him a special treat for sitting on the potty, whatever works BUT know he wont potty train until HE is ready you can't force it!!
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 4:56 AM on Apr. 4, 2009