Who's sick of school testing?

My daughter's class has been studying at school and taking practice tests for two months for the placement tests or whatever that tell the government how well the kids in a particular school are doing. The tests are in two weeks and now her teacher is requiring 30 min/day studying at home. My daughter is under the impression that if she "fails" the tests, she'll not get to go to 4th grade. I've tried to explain to her that it's important to do as well as you can, but that it won't really affect her schooling in any way. She's very bright, and this is stressing her out completely! I think all the kids would do better if they just left them alone and let them take the tests...

sparrowprincess

Asked by sparrowprincess at 1:05 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think all the kids would do better if they just left them alone and let them take the tests...

I agree with that! From the minute these kids step foot in school they are taught how to take a test. We just got done with the FCAT tests and I have 3 kids who were a nervous wreck about it. I HATE FCAT testing! It seems like all these kids do is take tests (or practice tests) in school- And some kids can be bright and smart as hell but may not test well. My 9 year old is one of those kids. I talked to his teacher about the FCAT testing. She said the reason they do all of the practice tests (and keep them in the child's folder) is IF the child fails the FCAT, they can petition the school board and show them that the child REALLY does know this and they have the "practice tests" as proof. And apparently this is something a lot of parents do not know- she said they're not allowed to tell parents that.

BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:19 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My son's teacher told me the same thing that Brendamomof3 just said: they do all the practice tests so if they fail the real one, they can petition the authorities in charge of this and prove the child does know the material so they can be passed into the next grade. Doesn't make me any happier about the fact that these kids are tested to death and often more stressed out than we adults with full time jobs and families to care for, but at least now I know that there are other options for kids who don't do well or just tend to perform poorly on tests in general.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:33 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Get used to it! As long as she's in public school that's how it'll be. We homeschool....lol.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:11 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I agree that state mandated testing is annoying, but they want to make sure that all kids throughout the state are being taught the same thing. Some teachers are more lenient with grading while others couldn't be harder.
    Try your best to settele your daughters nerves. Keep with the positive, that she knows her material and she will do good.
    If nothing else, it'll be good test practice for when she has to take her SAT'S or ACT's / college placement exams...which I assume you will want her to go to college.
    Good luck to your daughter!
    lilmommy0416

Answer by lilmommy0416 at 11:08 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• ReneeK....Get used to it! As long as she's in public school that's how it'll be. We homeschool....lol

Great answer, very helpful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I know how you feel but she will get used to it in time. The crappy part is how the test aren't even that accurate. Hope she feels better about them soon.
    danni33

Answer by danni33 at 11:55 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Anon...her question was..."who's sick of school testing?" She didn't ask for help...it was for a matter of opinion. Do you disagree with me that they will have to do it thorughout their school years? Did I say something inaccurate?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Not inaccurate, just not helpful. Her daughter is stressed out for having to take tests, and I'm sure if homeschooling was an option she would already be doing it. I don't think homeschooling is bad and in the same right I don't think public schools are bad. I just don't like when people try to say things like...na na if only you homeschooled, your child would be much happier...and that's what your response sounded like to me. I'm sorry if I read it wrong.
    Anonymous

• Yes you did read it wrong because it wasn't meant to sound like "na na". Public schools focus more time on triaing children to take tests. It's just how it is. For those people that are tired of it, homeschooling IS an option!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:18 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My daughter is also taking mock CRCT test...she will NOT pass 5th grade if she fails either the reading or math parts. It is that way here...3rd, 5th, and 8th. Her math is bad, but is reading at a 7th grade level. This has her soooo stressed. It's awful. She also is required to log in everyday for 30 minutes on the practice test site while on spring break(this week).
    Stacey833

Answer by Stacey833 at 2:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2009