seperation anxiety

i have a 9 month daughter old who just flips out whenever i leave the room. this was never an issue til the last week. its driving me crazy, shes genuinly upset when i leave and i dont know what to do. i try not to always run to her aid but she really turns it on. do i need to ignore her so she doesnt create a habit of getting what she wants by crying, or do i respond and reassure her im still here and not going anywhere?

scanamey77

Asked by scanamey77 at 1:37 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she is not dirty, or hungry or in pain then you can feel free to leave her.. if she is perfectly fine when your in the room and doesn't want anything then she should be fine when your not... it will help her when she sits and crys and then realizes you always come back later or in a few minutes anyways.. plus she needs to be learning to entertain herself... and keep herself busy.. maybe you can find some toy or doll or book to keep her attention when you leave
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 3:18 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My son started this around 8 1/2 - 9 months also. It drove me bananas for awhile. I couldn't walk five feet away from him without him acting a if I was abandoning him. It does get better! Continually reassure her that you are there, that you are not leaving her. She is not trying to mainpulate you. If you cannot pick her up, give her a hug and kiss, just use your voice. If she cannot see you, just narrate what you are doing. "Sarah, mommy is here, mommy is just putting the dishes away. There's only two cups left, mommy is almost done, and then she's going to put a pot of coffee on........." and pop your head out every few minutes so she can see that you're still there. It's just a phase and it will pass. I cannot say how quickly, my son is ten months old, and he throws a fit if I go o the bathroom or disappear behind a closed door. I have to leave the doors open so he can find me if needed. But he is getting bette rabout it.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 1:50 AM on Apr. 4, 2009