My 7 month old sucks his fist while eating?

Only when he eats fruits and veggies. I feed him with the spoon and he immediately sticks his fist in his mouth and sucks away. Like it helps him to swallow or something. Should I break him from this habbit? I've tried holding his fist down but he just puts the other one in so its hopeless. Will he grow out of it? Is it normal? I don't want him to get used to it and use it as a crutch but I don't want it to be too hard for him to eat as well. Thank you!

madrigalreject

Asked by madrigalreject at 1:53 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son covers his mouth with his fist and sucks when he is afraid his food will fall out of his mouth. But only when he really likes what he is eating. I don't think you should be concerned or try to stop him. He is probably only doing this because he really likes his fruit or veggies. I highly doubt he'll continue to do this well through todderhood and into his childhood. If it was interfering with his ability to eat, he probably wouldn't be doing this. But that's just my opinion. This will probably become less frequent or disappear alltogether once he moves onto table food, or has better understanding of how to handle his food. He is still new at this whole solids thing.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 2:06 AM on Apr. 4, 2009