My baby won't sleep anymore through the night! Help

When I had my son, he slept all night through.... till he was 4 months. Now he is 8 months and the last 4 he wakes up several times throughout the night. I have tried everything. He takes either 2 45 min naps early in the day or a 2 hour nap. If I put him down at 8, hes up at 10, 130, 4 and 6. I thought that by now he'd be sleeping through the night. Its driving me a bit crazy, because I stay so tired. Any suggestions?

msbell428

Asked by msbell428 at 2:02 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• With my son i started giving him the infant cereal in his milk bottles before he went to bed. Whats waking him up is possibly hunger...it worked with my son and he slept all night cause he was full. Give it a try!!!
    ProudMamma469

Answer by ProudMamma469 at 2:10 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Wow. Most of us haven't had the priviledge of having a newborn that slept through the night. Lucky mama! Now... you must understand that many things can throw sleep off. It can be a new milestone. Like learning how to grasp things. Rolling over. Crawling. Learning how to pull self to stand. Walking. They tend to get so excited about it, and want to practice when they are supposed to be sleeping. Teething also affects sleep. He is also becoming more and more aware of his surrounding, and more curious about things. Is he hungry when he wakes up? If that's the case, you might want to give him a snack (some sort of fruit or cereal) a hour before he goes down, and maybe increase his last bottle by 2 ounces. Does he sleep with a pacifier? Does he wake up happy and content? If that's the case, I would leave him in his crib and see if he's able to put himself back to sleep. Until this changes, nap when your little one naps.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 2:17 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Has anything changed like the position of bed a new cup ..try putting the crib next to your bed maybe baby want to know your there .and when baby waked up rub the back or belly .Also if baby is not sleeping weel in the dark put the crib next to a TV it will keep baby quiet and the give the bottle He will put it down when he is don.I know its wrong but when my daughter feed her self to sleep i watched her very closely but did not birp her.I had thos Dr Browns anti colic . and the bootle you prepare before night time put a little bit of baby cereal or bannana baby food your baby will sleepp longer because the tummy is full I hope that helps
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 2:18 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I personally don't agree with putting cereal in an infant's bottle unless they have reflux. (Not bashing other moms for doing this to help their child sleep. It's just a personal view. No one has to agree with me.) It especially bothers me when they are old enough to take it from a spoon. I don't think the small amount of cereal in a bottle would affect a 8-month-old baby much, anyway.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 2:22 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Cereal often doesn't help them sleep, unfortunately, and sleeping through the night isn't really a permanent condition in the first year.

Check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution." It will help.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:53 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• if he's 8 months he should be on solid food already.. so he should be full and not hungry.. but you could always give him a little something if its like 10.. and you can try giving him a long hot bath before bed .. with like bubbles and toys so he can kick and play.. and then make sure he's clean and like swaddle him or put a warm blanket on .. start the mobile or what ever you have... and give him a pacifier.. after that only go in the room to see if he is wet.. if he's not then lay him back down.. and if he's his hungry cry you can give him a little something but if not then it is about time to use the cry it out method .. he needs to learn when its bed time .. and that will help him realize no one is coming that late at night..if he's in pain obviously do something but if its just attention or wants to play just let him cry.. and be constant.. it will suck so much be he will eventually go to sleep..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 3:11 AM on Apr. 4, 2009