at what age you stop go the public bathroom with your child of the opposite sex?,

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I will not stop, untill he is driving age.....lol (just joking by the way)

I will use the family restrooms, most larger stores have them. So it shouldnt bother anyone.

There are farrrr to many pervs out there.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:27 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I still take my 10 yr old in with me. If we are at the mall i won't let him stand out there waiting for the rest of the kids to go, he's going with us too! Too many weirdos out there to take a chance. I'd say by the time he is 11 or 12 and depending on his "common sense radar"(meaning if he understands what he has to do if someone approaches him) I think he'd be okay in a men's room as long I was was standing right outside that bathroom door.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 2:36 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• In small store that are relatively empty or in single stall bathrooms with an outside door that locks, he goes in to the mens room and I stand nearby. If we are in a bigger store or a busy place, he comes goes to ladies room. If I have to go regardless of where we are, he comes into the bathroom with me and waits. He is 7, and I am not sure when I am going to change that.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:41 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I'm not sure... my daughter is one and is still in diapers. I'm sure family restrooms will become one of my best friends when she is older.
    angelofice

Answer by angelofice at 2:56 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I have 3 boys...ages 13, 9 and 2. If my 13 yr old is with me, I will send him in with the 9 yr old. 2 yr old always stays with me. If my 13 yr old is not with me .....than my 9 yr old goes in with me. He HATES it and I DONT care!! I do get some stares sometimes..I know people think he is to old to be in there with me but once again I DONT care!!
    my_three_sons

Answer by my_three_sons at 7:56 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My son and I are working on this. He's learning his comfort zone - if no one is in the men's room, he'll go in by himself and go. If there is someone in the men's room, he'll go in but then come back out almost immediately and use the women's room with me. I ask him each time which he wants to use because he is growing up and I just don't think it's appropriate to bring a grown boy into the women's room, but that's me. He'll be 4 in June.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 8:30 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My son is seven, and in a large store he goes in the ladies' with me, small store or somewhere where I know everyone, he can go in the men's with me right outside. If anyone ever spoke to me about it, I would still take him with me, the ladies' room has stall doors, nobody's going to see anything they shouldn't and it's had an interesting side effect, he now knows that women fart, which I think will be a big advantage in later life.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:30 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Our oldest grandson is 10. Just recently, I have let him go into the men's restroom by himself. However, I tell him before he goes in there that I will be standing just outside of the door. If anything happens, he is to start yelling in which case I will be either coming in myself or I will be sending someone in. There are too many perverts in this world today and we have to protect our own.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:41 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I think it dependson the child. But nothing wrong with sending them in and standing outside the door.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• For us it depends on where we are. My son is 7 1/2 and started using the men's room alone in familiar uncrowded places if we were sitting near the bathrooms.
    Now he walks to the bathroom from wherever we are sitting and uses it alone if the place isn't too crowded. My girls (who are 8 1/2 and 6) also go alone. The 6yo has to have her sister with her because she's flighty and would probably get lost, lol.
    In crowded places like the mall they have to go in with an adult and my son still comes in the womens room with me. They usually all stand together and wait if I have to go. We don't usually go places when they are really busy and most of the places we go to, including the malls, do NOT have family bathrooms.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:05 AM on Apr. 4, 2009